Former Florida DB Brian Edwards transfers to Central Michigan

brian-edwards
Defensive back Brian Edwards (6) high-fives fans before a game against LSU at Steve Spurrier-Florida Field at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium at the University of Florida in Gainesville on Saturday, October 6, 2018. (Bronte Wittpenn / Tampa Bay Times)

When first-year Central Michigan coach Jim McElwain accepted the job to lead the Chippewas, he brought a majority of the old coaches he associated with to Mount Pleasant.

Now, he's nabbed one of his old players in defensive back Brian Edwards through the transfer portal, a source close to the team told Central Michigan Life.

Barring a waiver from the NCAA, Edwards is expected to miss the 2019 season due to transfer rules. The safety has two years of eligibility remaining.

In his two seasons playing for Florida, of which one was in 2017 for McElwain, Edwards played in 18 games. He spent time on defense and special teams. The 6-foot-2, 192-pound defensive back was expected to be in a backup position for the Gators in 2019.

Edwards made headlines this offseason as he was arrested and charged with misdemeanor battery. Due to insufficient evidence, those charges were later dismissed.

Edwards announced his decision to enter the portal July 8 after playing two seasons for the Gators. 

“First, I want to say thank you to the University of Florida for all they have done for me for the past two years," Edwards wrote on Twitter. "I will also like to thank Dwayne for mentoring me and a special thank you to the tutors that provided great assistance throughout my academic career at Florida. Unfortunately, I will be entering the transfer portal and looking to further my education and athletic ability elsewhere. This was a very tough decision for me. I have built great relationships, impacted others, and grown so much throughout the time attendin(g) the University. 

"My time being at the University of Florida I have had some ups and downs but I will forever cherish my time here as a Gator. It was also a pleasure being apart of DBU tradition at the University of Florida. But I’m looking to find a new home to thrive and meet my full potential in my academic and my athletics for my remaining two years of eligibility.”

While playing for Miramar High School in Hollywood, Florida, Edwards was named to the 2016 Class 8A All-State First Team Defense and was selected to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel's 2016 All-County 8A-6A Second-Team Defense.

Edwards was a three-star prospect out of high school, ranked No. 575 in the nation, No. 58 at cornerback and No. 77 in Florida, per the 247Sports Composite. He offers from 25 schools and took official visits to Florida (Jan. 27), Colorado (Dec. 9), Louisville (Jan. 14) and Miami (Jan. 20).