OPINION: A letter from Mount Pleasant Mayor William Joseph

imr-5354
Mayor Will Joseph congratulates a graduate of the Mount Pleasant Citizens' Academy April 22 at City Hall.

Welcome Central Michigan University students!

This fall brings us to the 127th Anniversary of the university's first class of students and 130 years since the incorporation of the City of Mount Pleasant. 

Our history is also shared with the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe whose name and land are shared by our university and city. 

Together we make a community and celebrate our treasured traditions. 

During this academic year I encourage you to take advantage of all the resources available to you. Mount Pleasant is home to 12 parks featuring the Chippewa River, hiking trails, bike paths, volleyball and tennis courts, baseball/softball fields, a skate park and a newly constructed performing arts pavilion in Island Park. Our downtown area, within walking distance of campus, offers a wide range of dining experiences as well as specialty retail shops, salons, art galleries and more. 

Take an afternoon – or weekend – to appreciate and experience our numerous cultural and arts amenities. Visit the Ziibiwing Center, catch a local music show, or support your fellow students who perform in a variety of plays, musicals and comedy shows. The area surrounding Mount Pleasant features several nature preserves with walking trails such as Bundy Hill, which has a rich history and vibrant wildlife sight-seeing opportunities.

Mount Pleasant is also home to various non-profit groups that are always looking for interested persons to help enrich our community. Detailed volunteer information is available at the Mary Ellen Brandell Volunteer Center located in the Bovee University Center.  

As a CMU graduate, a Mount Pleasant resident, and your Mayor, I ask you to look around you, observe, and find the gems of culture, recreation and community involvement that surround you. 

Involve your friends and classmates and find your niche in this grand community. I promise you will find your experience to be richer and your appreciation deeper for the people in this community. 

Remember to take care of yourself and those around you as you experience this next great adventure.

Fire Up Chips!

William Joseph 

Mayor of Mount Pleasant