No injuries, some structural damage in explosion at Lexington Ridge apartments

69247427_407682556549235_1724692126853234688_n

Some structural damage occurred in an explosion Aug. 22. in building V at Lexington Ridge Apartments. 

An explosion caused light fire and smoke damage and structural damage to a building at Lexington Ridge Apartments.

At 1:50 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 22, senior Samantha Anker felt a rumble and immediately smelled smoke. She and her roommates exited their apartment and saw smoke coming from the end building V. She called 911 and her roommate, senior Leah Goering began knocking on neighbor's doors to make sure everyone was O.K.

Nobody was in the damaged units at the time of the explosion and there were no reported injuries from residents of neighboring apartments. Goering said units V-12 and V-13 were damaged in the explosion and the residents were moved to different units. Residents of neighboring units were allowed back into the building shortly after 3 p.m. that day.

When firefighters arrived, there was a small fire in the crawl space that they extinguished quickly.

According to the Mount Pleasant Fire Department, there was a damaged gas line in the building that was leaking gas into the crawl space of the building. Assistant Fire Chief Doug Lobsinger said the explosion occurred after something ignited in the crawl space. 

Consumers Energy and the Mount Pleasant Fire Department are investigating the gas line.