Academic Senate discusses revisions to student opinion surveys

Provost Mary Schutten updates the Central Michigan University Academic Senate on multiple searches for administrators in French Auditorium Sept. 24.

Academic Senate Chairperson Brad Swanson called for revisions to the Student Opinion Surveys at the Sept. 24 academic senate meeting.  

Swanson announced the formation of a committee that would review and revise the current SOS forms. The committee will include two senators, two members of the faculty association, two members of the union of teaching faculty, two administrators, and two students. 

“We would like to try to get this process started so that our student opinion surveys resemble reasonable questions and the twenty-first century,” Swanson said. 

Provost Mary Schutten announced that Heidi Tracy will begin her new position as the vice president of advancement on Oct. 1.  

“She’s been on campus many times before,” Schutten said. “She’s coming with a really great record of creating and leading successful development campaigns.” 

Recruitment processes have begun for a new dean of the College of Education and Human Services. Searches for associate deans of the College of the Arts and Media, College of Business Administration and College of Education and Human Services are ongoing. 

Schutten also announced the approval of the $1 million renovation project of the Culinary Nutrition Center located in Wightman Hall to senators. The facility will be paid for by gifts, grants and university reserves. 

Senator Michael Mamp of fashion, interior design & merchandising raised awareness to other maintenance issues in Whightman Hall.

“That $1.5 million dollar donation is being made to a building that hasn’t been thought of holistically,” Mamp said. “As a graduate of Central Michigan University that left in 1995 and coming back as a faculty member, time had literally stood still in a building where when it rains the roofs sleek, the water runs in through the window and when you drop something on the floor you have to make sure you didn’t scratch an asbestos tile.”