Quarterback David Moore discards emotions in preparation for Western Michigan

Central Michigan quarterback David Moore goes through drills at practice Sept. 24 at the East Grass Field.

The rivalry between Central Michigan and Western Michigan is a foreign substance to junior quarterback David Moore.

When Moore was at Memphis in 2016 and 2017, he never got the opportunity to play in a rivalry game. Taking the field for Garden City Community College in 2018, the atmosphere was nothing similar to the Division I level.

Moore's time is now, and the most important test of his career takes place Saturday at Waldo Stadium in Kalamazoo, as the Chippewas kick off against the Broncos for the 90th all-time meeting – dating back to 1907.

Even though Moore hasn't experienced the Central-Western battle for the Victory Cannon, his teammates have made him well aware of what's at stake.

"The message to David is for him to keep doing what he's done the last two games," said senior center Steve Eipper. "We have to keep him healthy and clean. As an offensive line, we have to protect him, let him do his progressions and make the plays."

Since taking over for injured graduate transfer Quinten Dormady in Week 3 as the starting quarterback, Moore has completed 43-of-81 passes for 533 yards, two touchdowns and one interception in two games. He also has one rushing score.

In the most recent game, a 17-12 loss to Miami (FL) on the road, Moore was sacked four times. On the second-to-last play, he was taken out of the game after being pummeled while making a 24-yard completion.

The good news – Moore is healthy.

"I feel great," he said. "100 percent."

Of course, Moore is expecting a hostile environment at Waldo Stadium. But more than that, he anticipates a victory and the return of the Victory Cannon to Mount Pleasant.

What often follows foresight is an enormous amount of emotion. Moore doesn't plan to let that get in his way, at least not until the game is over.

"We are looking to go there and win," Moore said. "I try to leave emotions out of it. As a quarterback, it's such a mental position. 

"After we win, that's when I can let it all sink in."

To make sure the final result ends in CMU's favor, Moore said he needs to continue following the plan first-year coach Jim McElwain and offensive coordinator Charlie Frye have set in place for him.

McElwain and Frye want Moore to prepare the same as he would for any other competition. That's what will happen, but it doesn't mean the junior has lost sight of the impact that the rivalry has on everyone involved.

After all, this weekend will be Moore's first rivalry as a college starting quarterback.

"That's what makes college football fun, and that's a great part of the game," Moore said. "If there weren't rivalries in college football, it wouldn't be as fun. That's why people watch college football more than the NFL."

Even though Western Michigan lost starting cornerback D'Wayne Eskridge last weekend in a 55-33 loss to Syracuse, Moore has still pinpointed the defensive backs as a "pretty good" strength for the Broncos.

Moore specifically noted senior safety Justin Tranquill, who had nine tackles and an interception against the Chippewas in last season's 35-10 win in Mount Pleasant.

"He's a baller," the quarterback said of Tranquill. "We won't run the same plays each week. Other than that, we're just looking at what we do best against the defense they run."

Having two full games under his belt, Moore's third career start might be the most important of his career thus far.

Playing against the Hurricanes at Hard Rock Stadium opened Moore's eyes to attributes needed to compete at the top level of college football. 

"I found out a lot about myself," Moore said. "I feel like I can be a very good player for Central Michigan. I feel like I fit that puzzle piece pretty well for our team, and it's just been a whole lot of fun for me. 

As for the Chippewas opening as 18-point underdogs, that betting line hasn't disturbed the signal caller.

"I could care less about that," Moore said. "We're looking to play and win the game."