Women's basketball ventures into new era, showcases talent at open scrimmage

lrm-export-36555648109722-20191027-123911874

The ball found its way into the hands of Molly Davis. 

The true freshman guard worked off a screen and got around her defender, junior guard Micaela Kelly. The clock ticked down as Davis drove to the basket. 

Her scoop layup missed and the buzzer sounded, but a whistle blew and sent her to the line. 

Though she missed the buzzer-beater, the moves and confidence shown by Davis have given the Central Michigan women's basketball team a reason to be optimistic after the winds of change blew heavily throughout the offseason. 

The Chippewas lost just three players, but two of them were All-Mid-American Conference selections. They also lost head coach Sue Guevara, who retired after last season. 

However, the return of contributors such as Kelly and junior guard Maddy Watters paired with the arrival of Davis has brought the excitement back into McGuirk Arena.

“Molly Davis will be in our starting lineup,” said new coach Heather Oesterle, who served as Guevara’s assistant for the past nine seasons. “She’s in the gym all the time, most days twice a day.”

Davis had just six points in Sunday’s Maroon and Gold scrimmage but showed confidence within an offense that is uncommon for a true freshman. 

“Her 3-ball didn’t fall today, but she can really shoot the ball,” Oesterle said of Davis. “She’s really good at coming off on-ball screens.”

The Maroon and Gold scrimmage was packed with action. 

A pre-scrimmage ring ceremony honored all parties involved in last season’s MAC regular season championship. After the ceremony, the 2019-20 squad was split into two teams for a quarter, before reuniting for the final three to take on a team of alumni coached by Guevara.

Kelly, a returning starter who averaged 14.6 points per game in 35.2 minutes, totaled 21 points between the two segments. She looked comfortable running the point and was stout defensively. 

“My time is now,” Kelly said after the scrimmage. “I have to step up and lead this team.”

Kate McArthur, another freshman, scored six points on a pair of triples. 

“She can shoot the lights out,” Oesterle said. “She’s got a quick trigger.” 

Central Michigan returns two other starters in addition to Kelly. 

Watters, who averaged 6.5 points per game a season ago, did not score in the scrimmage. However, she appears ready to take the next step as far as becoming a leader within this Chippewa squad. 

“I had great role models teaching me, and now it’s my time to step up and be a leader, be more vocal,” Watters said.

The other returning starter is sophomore center Jahari Smith. She averaged 6.1 points per game last season and scored six points on Sunday.

“That kid has really come a long way,” Oesterle said. “I’m very impressed with how far she’s come from her freshman and sophomore years.”

Junior forward Kyra Bussell scored nine points and senior forward MacKenna Kelly added seven. 

The Chippewas open their season Nov. 6 against Green Bay at McGuirk Arena.