President Davies announces increased state allocations at academic senate

Academic Senate Chairperson Brad Swanson presents curricular items to senators Oct. 8 in French Auditorium.

Central Michigan University will receive more state funding this academic year.

President Bob Davies said the university received $1.81 million – just over a 2 percent increase of total state allocations during an academic senate meeting Oct. 8.

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer signed 16 bills on Sept. 30 that created the budget for the state of Michigan, using line-item veto power 147 times. 

Whitmer approved a 0.5 percent increase to public university operations, which was distributed to each state university. CMU received almost 7 percent of the $7.9 million increase.

In addition to operational budget allocations, Whitmer approved a $6.7 million addition to the North American Indian Tuition Waiver Funding pool. CMU received an additional $1.28 million from this pool of funds.

Davies said CMU received one of the largest funding increases in the state.

"This was a major draw for us. Only one (other university) received an over two percent increase, which was Lake Superior State University. All the other universities received a lot lower than us," Davies said.

Other business

Senators approved the addition of a dance major in the department of communication and dramatic arts. The new major will include new and existing courses to prepare students to become professional performers, educators, choreographers, critics and historians.

The senate also approved a bachelor of science degree in environmental engineering. The four-year program will train students to succeed in design and production jobs in the environmental sector.

Chairperson Brad Swanson finalized elections for the student opinion survey revision committee. The committee will include two senators, two members of the Faculty Association, two members of the Union of Teaching Faculty, two administrators and two students.