Guard Matt Beachler might take redshirt as junior, has no health issues

matt-beachler-nov-5-01-1

Central Michigan guard Matt Beachler walks off the court following a 102-62 win against the Michigan-Dearborn Nov. 5 at McGuirk Arena.

Matt Beachler picked Central Michigan over Cornell, DePaul, Detroit Mercy, Kent State, Lehigh, Northern Illinois, Oakland, Toledo and VCU.

The Chippewas, led by eighth-year coach Keno Davis, won the prized recruit from Lowell High School and secured a commitment from him Aug. 8, 2016.

Fast forward three years – the junior guard with experience off the bench isn't playing. 

Beachler did not suit up in his uniform for Central Michigan's season opener Nov. 5 against Michigan-Dearborn at McGuirk Arena.

Davis said it's a possible redshirt situation.

"He's been good, a good player for us," Davis said of Beachler. "He could definitely play for us this year. To keep that option open right now, we couldn't play him in this game and then redshirt him."

The other players that didn't dress were injured guard Matty Smith, transfer guard Preston Enloe (NCAA rules), freshman forward Caleb Hodgson and walk-on freshman Dylan Jergens.

Davis plans to decide on Beachler's status for the 2019-20 season within the next few weeks. He will do the same for Hodgson.

"If we know he can get quite a few minutes, you'll see him play," Davis said. "If he's going to be limited on some of his minutes, it'll be nice to have that opportunity for him."

From a player's perspective, Davis said endorsing the redshirt opportunity is a simple choice depending on the situation.

Beachler would be behind junior transfers Devontae Lane, Travon Broadway Jr. and Deschon Winston, three guards from the NJCAA level that Davis brought to the program in the offseason. 

"The decision is pretty easy whether to play or not," Davis said. "My advice to guys is, 'if you can play a significant amount of minutes, great, you get that experience, and you'll get better from it.' 

"If you don't know if you'll get three minutes or 23 minutes, that's a tough position to be in as a player."

If Davis makes the choice to redshirt Beachler and sit him for the entire season, the coach hopes his junior guard works harder than everyone else – even those that are playing.

He expects Beachler to get more time in the weight room, on-court training and shots up in his free time.

"I think what you're looking for when guys redshirt is not taking the year off and enjoying being around the team," Davis said.

The 6-foot-4, 192-pound guard averaged 9.1 minutes, 2.1 points, 0.9 rebounds and 0.4 assists in the 2017-18 season. The following year, as a sophomore, Beachler posted 11.3 minutes per game, 4.0 points, 1.3 rebounds and 0.4 assists.

He has made 48-of-154 3-pointers in his career for a 31.2% clip from downtown. Beachler played 34 games as a freshman and 35 games as a sophomore.

When Davis was discussing the situation regarding Beachler, he used former guard Josh Kozinski, who scored 1,000 points and made 306 3-pointers in his five-year career, as an example. 

Kozinski took a medical redshirt as a freshman in the 2013-14 season. 

However, Kozinski was a freshman when he took a redshirt due to a medical reason; Beachler is a junior and has no health issues.

"By the time it was his fifth year, it was sure nice to have him in the program another year," Davis said of Kozinski. "Both options are good, either playing or redshirting. 

"What we don't want is a guy using a year and not getting an opportunity to play."

Beachler came to Mount Pleasant because of the coaching staff, his father, Phil Beachler, told Central Michigan Life during his son's freshman season with the Chippewas. 

“He just really felt comfortable with the coaches at CMU," Phil said in December 2017. "They were following him around for three years. You’d look up and see Keno or (assistant coach) Kevin (Gamble), and they always supported Matt.

"I think it was huge and sent a message to him.” 

Beachler holds Lowell High School basketball records for career points and points in a game, 3-pointers and 3-pointers in a single game, career steals and steals in a single game and consecutive starts.

Before coming to Central Michigan, Beachler was a four-year starter on varsity for his hometown squad.