Central Michigan football player Brian Edwards arrested after on-campus altercation

brian-edwards

Brian Edwards (Photo: Isabella Country Jail records)

A Central Michigan football player was arrested after an on-campus altercation with university police Monday evening.

Brian Edwards, 21, was lodged in the Isabella County Jail at 7:05 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 25, according to jail records

The defensive back on the football team was arrested by the CMU Police Department and charged with disorderly person by jostling and resisting/obstructing a police officer.

Lt. Cameron Wassman of CMUPD said university police responded to the male subject "behaving erratically and threatening to harm himself." As officers made contact, the man fled on foot.

He was chased by officers and eventually located in the East Complex residential restaurant, also known as Fresh Food Company. He "repeatedly resisted" attempts to comply, and a physical confrontation broke out.

The officer took him into custody, and he is currently lodged at the Isabella County Jail.

"One CMU officer was treated for minor injuries from the incident; no other injuries occurred," the CMUPD statement said. "The investigation is open and ongoing."

Edwards is being jailed on a $350 bond for his disorderly person charge and no bond for resisting/obstructing a police officer, according to jail records. 

A mandatory football team meeting was called for 8 p.m. by Director of Operations Ben Presnell. Practice ended around 5:30 p.m. Monday.

"We are aware of an incident on campus this evening, but it is an ongoing investigation with the CMU Police Department and we cannot comment any further," CMU Athletic Director Michael Alford told CM Life in a statement.

CMUPD declined to comment on the identification of the male offender before he has been arraigned.

While playing football for Florida, Edwards was arrested for first-degree misdemeanor battery of his girlfriend in May 2019 and spent time at the Alachua County Jail in Gainesville, Florida, but the charges were later dropped in June due to insufficient evidence for the state attorney's office to pursue the case.

His girlfriend declined to press charges, and the Florida defensive back decided to leave the Gators through the NCAA transfer portal just a month later. 

Central Michigan defensive back Brian Edwards walks to the end of the line during a drill at practice Sept. 3 at the East Grass Field.

Edwards transferred to Central Michigan before the start of fall practice in August.

Central Michigan football coach Jim McElwain gave Edwards his stamp of approval. McElwain recruited Edwards to join the Gators while he was the coach from 2015-17.

"First and foremost, I obviously recruited Brian. He's a wonderful kid," McElwain said to Central Michigan Life in August. "I love his mom. One thing I always tell every one of the kids I recruit is, 'I'm here for you, and I'll do everything I can to help you.'"

In his two seasons playing for Florida, of which one was in 2017 for McElwain, Edwards played in 18 games. The 6-foot-2, 192-pound defensive back spent time on defense and special teams. 

Edwards has been forced to sit out the 2019 season with the Chippewas due to NCAA transfer rules. 

This story will update as more information becomes available.