True freshman QB Daniel Richardson 'has skillset' for greatness

img-8307-2
Central Michigan freshman quarterback Daniel Richardson throws a pass in practice Sept. 17 at the Bennett Track Field.

Daniel Richardson has stood by Charlie Frye's side in front of Central Michigan's bench every single game – home and away, day and night, win or loss.

Regardless of the contest or the outcome, Richardson is always adjacent to his offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

Richardson's only time on the field was during the final drive of a home 48-10 win against Northern Illinois, and he didn't even get a chance to throw a pass.

But it's worth noting that was the only offensive series where Richardson wasn't right next to Frye. 

Frye said it's important that the true freshman quarterback is learning the coaching piece of football, and it's a part of Richardson's development in his attempt to become the starting quarterback for the 2020 season.

Richardson signals the plays and offers suggestions to his fellow quarterbacks – seniors Quinten Dormady and Tommy Lazzaro. 

"Those suggestions are good," Frye said. "He's a big help in the meeting room."

During practice Nov. 20, Richardson executed a two-minute drill, a type of hurry-up offense instituted after the two-minute warning. 

"His football IQ is really high," Frye said.

From Miami Carol City High School, Richardson was a three-star prospect that had offers from CMU, FIU, Florida Atlantic, Toledo and UAB.

He took an official visit on Dec. 14, committed to the Chippewas on Dec. 17 and signed his letter of intent on Dec. 19.

Richardson holds Miami Dade County career passing records for yards (9,791) and touchdowns (116). He also had 1,600 yards and 32 touchdowns on the ground. 

The 5-foot-10, 200-pound quarterback was all-state three times and all-county four times while also leading his team to a state title in 2015.

The next step for Richardson is putting together an offseason of growth that transitions into spring and fall camp, thus pouring over to the season opener.

"Having an offseason of getting into some drill work and things it takes to execute, his ceiling is going to be as high as he wants it to be," Frye said. "He's here. He has his skillset."

Richardson will qualify as a redshirt freshman for the 2020 season, meaning he has four full years of eligibility remaining.

Frye has just one question for him.

"Are you willing to do what it takes to be a great quarterback?"

Central Michigan freshman quarterback Daniel Richardson goes through stretches in practice Oct. 8 at the Bennett Track Field.