Micaela Kelly steps into role as leader for Central Michigan

lrm-export-22631206804785-20191027-221703362

Micaela Kelly dribbles the ball up the floor and initiates the offense during a scrimmage Oct. 27 at McGuirk Arena.

Central Michigan's women's basketball team ended practice in McGuirk Arena. 

The team was gathered by the bench area as the players began to disperse for the day of classes. 

Then an exclamation comes from the exit near the south end of the arena. 

"Everyone have a great day!" 

Micaela Kelly was the voice behind the message. 

Kelly, a junior guard from Detroit, has stepped into a new leadership role coming into the 2019-20 season after a sophomore campaign that saw her start all 33 games CMU played last season. 

She averaged 14.6 points, 4.3 rebounds and 3.8 assists per game last season. Kelly added 51 steals and shot 49% from the field, 41% from 3-point range and had an 81% mark from the free throw line. 

In her first two years at Central Michigan, Kelly saw the likes of Tinara Moore, Presley Hudson and Reyna Frost lead the program to great heights — including two NCAA Tournament appearances, with a Sweet 16 showing in 2018. 

During her first two years, Kelly was able to learn from those before her and apply those lessons to her own game. 

Now, Kelly knows that it's her turn to take over the leadership role for the Chippewas. 

After all — they named her captain. 

"Obviously it's me coming out of my old role and now I'm playing a bigger role," Kelly said. "I have to lead this team, take over and do what we've got to do to get us where we need to be."

As the 2019-20 season tips off, Central Michigan has a new coach with Heather Oesterle roaming the sidelines. Oesterle had been on the staff under Sue Guevara for the previous nine seasons. 

Oesterle said that the team has the same expectations that it did in years past, just with a different system. The coach expects Kelly to lead the charge to cutting the nets down at the Mid-American Conference Tournament in Cleveland, Ohio. 

Oesterle's expectation comes from the fact that the relationship she and Kelly have runs deep. Oesterle said that she appreciates Kelly because the junior celebrates her teammates. 

"I feed off of her energy," Oesterle said. "I know the team does, too. She's vocal, probably our most vocal leader." 

Once a Mid-American Conference Freshman of the Year in 2018, Kelly has been a strong force in the Chippewas' game plan. 

Kelly knows that this season, she is the catalyst of the teams' communication on the floor, therefore the catalyst of the teams' success. 

"I don't feel any pressure," Kelly said. "It's a whole new system, new coach, so it's time to show that we actually worked hard and that we've earned everything we get and we're going to continue to grow and do what we have to do." 

Heading into her junior year, Kelly has put together an impressive body of work on the floor and has shown that she can be a leader off of it, too. 

Oesterle said that a player like Kelly, who goes by the nickname Twin, is a valuable person to have on the roster. 

"It's a really good thing to have your best player work the hardest," Oesterle said. "She brings it every day, the energy and she gives it to everyone around her, which is good. She never disappears in practice and she's a constant leader and I appreciate that because she gives me energy." 

Kelly turned and looked at Oesterle with a smile and replied, "Appreciate it, coach." 

As for the upcoming season, the transition that the team has made with Oesterle as the head coach has been smooth. 

Kelly, as one of the team's leaders, said that Oesterle has been stressing the little things to make a basketball team great. Kelly has been the conduit from Oesterle to the rest of the team. 

"Our team has stepped up in ways you couldn't imagine because everyone feels as though they have a new opportunity," Kelly said. "Everybody can show up and play and show that we can all be good together. (Oesterle) can find different ways to use different combinations."

Following the team's Maroon and Gold Scrimmage on Oct. 27 in McGuirk Arena, Guevara said that she was impressed with how the team played and how Oesterle led the team. 

The former three-time Mid-American Conference Coach of the Year did not say much about Kelly, but what she did say was powerful. 

"Watching them play," Guevara said, "we all know what Twin Kelly can do."