First look: Newest Chippewas look to fill voids left by all-time greats

lrm-export-21156023007778-20191027-215227872

Central Michigan guard Molly Davis drives during a scrimmage Oct. 27 at McGuirk Arena.

The Central Michigan women's basketball program won its third consecutive Mid-American Conference West Division regular-season title last season, posting a 15-3 record within the conference. 

The squad earned a No. 8 seed in the NCAA Tournament, the second straight berth to the Big Dance. 

However, that squad was led by two all-time Chippewa greats who exited after the season. Sue Guevara, who spent 12 years as the leader of the team, retired following the season while seniors Presley Hudson and Reyna Frost graduated. 

Hudson and Frost each leave substantial holes in the offense and defense, as each earned all-MAC honors in all four years of their respective careers. Hudson left the program as the all-time leading scorer in Central Michigan basketball history, while Frost ranks at the top in program history in rebounds. 

As far as the coaching change, first-year coach Heather Oesterle is a newcomer in status alone. 

Oesterle spent the last nine seasons as an assistant under Guevara and looks to maintain the standard of success that has been built within this program under Guevara. 

“The goals do not change,” Oesterle said. “We want to cut down the nets, we want another ring ceremony. We have the pieces to compete on the national stage again.” 

With all that’s lost, it’s expected that each of the three incoming freshmen will be able to contribute in a way that helps to offset the losses. 

Here’s what each of them brings to the table:

Molly Davis (pictured above)

Previous school: Midland Dow High School

Height: 5’7”

Position: Guard

“Molly Davis will be in our starting lineup," Oesterle said.

Oesterle has high hopes for her incoming freshman guard, stating that she will plug the Midland native into the starting five alongside junior guards Micaela Kelly and Maddy Watters in the backcourt. 

In high school, Davis scored 1,278 points while being named to the MHSAA Division 1 all-state team three times. She ranks second in school history with 174 made 3-pointers. Davis was named First-Team All-Saginaw Valley League all four years of her high school career. 

“My style of play is just running in transition trying to find the open person,” Davis said. “I like to look for my teammates first and if I’m open I’ll obviously shoot the three.”

Oesterle also added that Davis is dangerous coming off screens and that her ability to shoot the ball is among the best on the team. 

While a role like this is usually uncommon for a freshman, Davis appears ready to contribute right away, and she will be counted on to do so. Hudson’s shooting prowess won’t be replaced by any one individual, however, this freshman appears poised to shoulder some of the offensive load. 

“The only way she’s coming out of the game is if she passes up open shots,” Oesterle said.

Central Michigan freshman forward Shine Strickland-Gills goes through drills at practice at McGuirk Arena. (Photo: CMU Athletics)

Shine Strickland-Gills

Previous school: Saginaw Heritage High School

Height: 6'0"

Position: Forward

In four years at Heritage High School, Shine Strickland-Gills lost just seven basketball games. She won two state championships and was named Class A state finals Most Valuable Player after the triumph in her junior year. 

“Shine’s coming along,” Oesterle said. “This year, I told her, her role is to defend and rebound.”

The freshman seems ready to embrace and live up to her coach's expectations.

“I grew up around more of a defensive-oriented rebound,” Strickland Gills said. “It’s always defense first because it’s all effort and hustle.”

Strickland-Gills also describes herself as a “finesse-post player,” stating that while she can play in the post, she is also skilled in her ability to attack the basket. 

With returning starter sophomore Jahari Smith as well as senior Gabi Bird and junior Kyra Bussell ahead of her in the frontcourt rotation, playing time may come in limited spurts for Strickland-Gills early on. 

Based on her pedigree, though, it will likely be sooner rather than later when she begins to make an impact. 

Central Michigan freshman guard Kate McArthur warms up before a scrimmage Oct. 27 at McGuirk Arena.

Kate McArthur

Previous school: Cousino High School

Height: 5’8”

Position: Guard

Kate McArthur comes to Central Michigan with a reputation of being a shooter. 

After decommitting from Clemson in April of 2018, she chose to bring her sharp-shooting talents to the maroon and gold. 

McArthur received all-state honors in all four years of her high school career and won the Class A state championship as a freshman. 

“She can shoot the lights out,” Oesterle said. “She’s got a quick trigger and deep three-point range.” 

McArthur projects as a bench scorer who is likely to provide a spark. 

If McArthur can transfer her shooting abilities to the college game, Oesterle will likely be pleased with what she has in the Warren native.