Crime Log: Man, 20, tries to hide cocaine in patrol car during trespassing arrest at Wayside

shop-with-a-cop3273

A Mount Pleasant Police Department car sits outside Walmart on Dec. 12.

The following incidents were among those handled by the Central Michigan University Police Department and Mount Pleasant Police Department from Nov. 11-18.

Nov. 11

A 40-year-old Mount Pleasant man was arrested by city police for operating a vehicle while intoxicated, leading to a crash at 4:51 p.m. at the intersection of Mission and High Street. This was the man's third offense of operating while intoxicated, according to Mount Pleasant police crime logs.

Nov. 12    

Three people were arrested by Mount Pleasant police after being pulled over for driving with expired plates at 11:30 a.m. on Stadium Drive. Through an interview with the female driver of the car, police learned that the woman had an outstanding warrant for a probation violation. When police searched the vehicle, they found fentanyl, heroin and marijuana. A male passenger of the car was found in possession of a handgun that reportedly belonged to a friend of his. The female driver, a 30-year-old Mount Pleasant resident, and an 18-year-old male passenger from Mount Pleasant were both arrested for violating the Controlled Substance Act. A 23-year-old Carson man was arrested for carrying a concealed weapon.

A 20-year-old woman was issued a citation by CMU police for driving without a license during a traffic stop at 9:08 p.m. While patrolling campus, officers observed a vehicle traveling without headlights near W. Bellows Street and Douglas Street. Police pulled the vehicle over and made contact with the driver, who told police her license was suspended. She was issued a misdemeanor citation and the car was driven from the scene by a passenger. 

Nov. 13

A 20-year-old Vassar man was arrested for possession of cocaine and trespassing at 1:42 a.m. near the Wayside Bar and Nightclub, on the 2000 block of South Mission Street. Mount Pleasant police were called to the scene on the report of a man trespassing at the bar, who appeared to be intoxicated. When police arrested the man, he was observed trying to hide a stash of cocaine between the seats of the patrol car.

CMU police received a harassment complaint on Nov. 13 that reportedly occurred at 10:30 a.m. on Nov. 9. A 19-year-old female employee at the Charles V. Park Library told police a 36-year-old man frequently made contact with the woman at the library and repeatedly asked for her phone number. Police have not yet followed up with the male offender. 

Nov. 14

City police received a call from an unidentified female fraud victim at 6 p.m. who claimed someone had opened a bank account using her information. The woman told police the account was quickly closed. There have been no other signs of using her information since the initial call.

CMU police assisted another agency with cell phone forensics at 1:27 p.m.

Nov. 15 

Mount Pleasant police received multiple calls throughout the day reporting an arguing couple on the 500 block of South Main Street. Police followed up with the couple and determined there were no signs of domestic abuse.

Staff at The Laurels of Mount Pleasant senior living home, 400 S. Crapo St., reported that an elderly man had reportedly exposed himself. MPPD Public Information Officer Autume Balcom said the man was of an "unknown mental status." The disorderly conduct complaint was sent to the city attorney's office.

An unknown Mount Pleasant resident called city police to report that he saw a man stumble into his vehicle. MMPD made contact with the male suspect, a 41-year-old Chase resident, at the intersection of Pickard and Mission streets and arrested the man for operating a vehicle while intoxicated.

CMU police are investigating a larceny complaint related to a previous cell phone fraud case. Because the incident remains under investigation, there are no other details at this time. 

Staff from the Kessler Hall Market reported a case of retail fraud to CMU police that reportedly occurred at 7:48 p.m. on Nov. 5. When staff reviewed video surveillance of the market, they observed a 21-year-old man stealing two drinks when he bought a sandwich. Police made contact with the suspect, who claimed the incident was an accident and arranged to pay for the stolen drinks. No criminal charges were made. 

A 21-year-old woman reported damage to her car when it was parked at the His House Christian Church, 211 W. Broomfield St. Although the woman originally thought the damage was malicious, police determined through investigation that the damage was a result of some sort of defect in the car. 

Nov. 16

CMU police issued minor in possession citations to six students in Thorpe Hall at 11:30 a.m. Police were called to the room by hall staff who reported a marijuana odor coming from a room. Officers made contact with the individuals in the room, who admitted to smoking marijuana off-campus. While searching the room, police found and confiscated vodka and several fake IDs. Three 18-year-old women, two 20-year-old men and one 19-year-old man were issued a minor in possession. The case was turned over to the Office of Student Conduct. 

Nov. 18

A 31-year-old man took a court-ordered breathalyzer test at CMUPD at 8 a.m. Police found alcohol in the man's system, which violated the man's probation. 

CMU police assisted the Isabella County Sheriff's Office at 1:53 p.m. with a domestic violence incident on the 1000 block of E. High Street. No enforcement was taken by CMU police.