Environmental reporter Tom Henry to speak about intersection of fake news, science reporting

tom-henry
Courtesy Photo | Central Michigan University

Algae, solar cells, nuclear energy and climate change – someone has to understand and interpret data like this into consumable information. 

A person who does this is award-winning environmental reporter and Journalism Hall of Fame member Tom Henry, who will be speaking about the intersection of environmental reporting and fake news at 7 p.m. Nov. 14 in the Sarah and Daniel Opperman Auditorium.

As part of the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences’ Critical Engagements program, Henry will focus his presentation on how pseudoscience, lobbyist agendas and political spin result in harmful and manipulative media.

Henry, a former Central Michigan Life reporter, currently writes for The Toledo Blade. He has also contributed to the Washington Times, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and Dayton Daily News, among several other publications.

Henry graduated from CMU in 1981 with a degree in journalism and political science, completed his master's degree at The Ohio State University and attended Vermont Law School with a focus in environmental justice and nuclear power.

For more information about the Critical Engagements program, click here. If you're interested in hearing about Henry's journey into environmental reporting, you can listen to WGTE Media's "The Rough Draft Diaries With Haley Taylor."