Former Texas Tech quarterback Jett Duffey transfers to Central Michigan

jett-duffey

(Photo: Texas Tech Athletics)

Central Michigan football's quarterback room has gotten deeper. 

Former Texas Tech quarterback Jett Duffey will transfer to Central Michigan, sources told Central Michigan Life. The news was first reported by ESPN's Adam Rittenberg.

The 6-foot-1, 195-pound quarterback is a graduate transfer with one year of eligibility remaining. He can play immediately.

He was arrested and suspended from team activities in 2018 for a disturbance in front of a nightclub in Lubbock, Texas. He was booked on a charge of criminal mischief, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Duffey also served a suspension in the spring and summer of 2017 after a Texas Tech Title IX hearing panel sided with a woman that alleged Duffey had sex with her twice even though she was too incapacitated to consent, according to the Lubbock Avalanche Journal.

He originally transferred to Tulane, but he was denied academic admission according to a report from Guerry Smith of NOLA.com. He reopened his recruitment Jan. 11 and ended up picking Central Michigan.

Duffey threw for 2,840 yards, 18 touchdowns and five interceptions in the 2019 season as the starter once Alan Bowman went down with injury.

In three seasons with Texas Tech, Duffey threw for 4,077 yards, 26 touchdowns and 11 interceptions in 18 games. 

Duffey is the second grad transfer quarterback in as many seasons for coach Jim McElwain, who brought in Quinten Dormady last season. Dormady had a 6-4 record in 10 starts during the 2019 season.