David DiLeo breaks 3-point record in 65-60 loss at Buffalo

imr9057-2

Central Michigan forward David DiLeo makes his second of back-to-back three-pointers in the first half against Trinity Christian Nov. 23 at McGuirk Arena.

David DiLeo caught a pass from Dallas Morgan and fired up a shot from the left corner. 

Swish.

The senior forward broke the Mid-American Conference record for made 3-pointers in a men's basketball career with his fourth of the night.

He broke the Central Michigan record earlier in the half with a triple from the right-wing, passing his former teammate Josh Kozinski. 

DiLeo needed four 3-pointers to break the conference record, which he did with 46 seconds to play in the Chippewas' 65-60 loss to Buffalo on Friday at Alumni Arena in Buffalo, New York. Going into Friday's game, DiLeo needed just one to break Kozinski's school record. 

In the loss, which snapped CMU's three-game winning streak, DiLeo scored a team-high 16 points to bring his career total to 1460 points. He hit four 3-pointers and went 5-of-12 from the field. 

Fellow senior, a guard, Kevin McKay scored 14 points to round-out the Chippewas (13-9, 6-3) in double figures on the night. Morgan scored nine points while senior forward Rob Montgomery scored eight and Winston finished with seven points. 

The Bulls took a commanding lead in the first half, leading by as many as 18 in the opening frame before taking a 35-19 lead to the break. 

However, in the second half, the Chippewas made an adjustment and outscored the Bulls 41-30 and took a brief lead at 52-51 with 6:05 to play in the game. 

DiLeo scored his final points of the night when he hit a triple in the left corner to bring the score to 64-60 with 46 seconds left. At that point, CMU was forced to foul and stop the clock in an attempt to complete the comeback. 

CMU forced 18 UB turnovers, including 10 in the second half, while committing just 14 of its own, with six in the second half. 

Shooting-wise, the Chippewas finished at 35.7 percent (25-of-70) from the field while the Bulls shot 44.3 percent (27-of-61). Both teams shot under 20 percent from beyond the arc — CMU was 6-of-31, Buffalo was 4-of-23. 

UB also outrebounded CMU 48-37, with 14 offensive rebounds to the Chippewas' 11. McKay led the Chippewas with eight rebounds and the Bulls were led by Jayvon Graves' 12 boards. 

For the Bulls, Jeenathan Williams led with a game-high 20 points, while Antwain Johnson scored 15, Graves had 11 and Gabe Grant finished with 10 points. 

The Bulls swept CMU in the regular season after picking up an 86-67 win on Jan. 18 in McGuirk Arena and Friday's win. 

Central Michigan hosts in-state rival Eastern Michigan at 7 p.m. Tuesday in McGuirk Arena. The game is the first of two scheduled meetings between the Chippewas and Eagles.