47th annual Jazz Weekend begins Thursday

slideimage

Saxophonists play during Jazz Weekend. Courtesy photo from Central Michigan University.

The School of Music is preparing for Jazz Weekend, a celebration of jazz music arranged by music fraternity Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia. 

The events begin with a concert featuring Central Michigan University's Jazz Lab I and The Faculty Jazz Ensemble at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 6 in the Staples Family Concert Hall. 

On Friday, high school bands will be visiting campus to perform for CMU’s music faculty. Activities will take place in various locations across the university, including Staples Concert Hall, Chamichian Recital Hall, Norman C. Dietz Band Hall, Powers Ballroom, Plachta Auditorium and the Bovee University Center Rotunda. 

The weekend ends with the final concert at 7:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 7 in Plachta Auditorium. This year's guest artist is Terri Lyne Carrington, a three-time Grammy Award-winning drummer. 

Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia members said attendance has grown since last year.

“There will be more high school and junior high bands here than last year, which is awesome,” said Laingsburg senior and Jazz Weekend Committee member Daniel Briggs. 

Briggs said an estimated 1,300 high school students are expected to participate. He is also excited about the final concert, as he believes the guest performers are at their best.

“The guest artists who come and perform our final concert are at the top of their craft," Briggs said. "To hear them perform live is something special."

The final concert in Plachta Auditorium is the only part of Jazz Weekend attendees must purchase tickets for. Tickets can be purchased for $7 for students and seniors and $10 for non-student adults via Ticket Central.