Doctoral student uses art skills to promote curiosity with mural in Center for Children, Families and Communities

49ecc8e3-4517-4af4-83b6-2aee7e3f4fd7

A nature mural Jan. 29 at 2480 W Campus Dr. in Mount Pleasant.

Although she isn't an art student, the artist of the newly painted mural in the Center for Children, Families, and Communities had the opportunity to use her hobby during her doctoral program. 

Jaclyn Bowes is a second-year clinical psychology doctoral student, focusing on personality psychology. 

"I am currently working on a thesis that incorporates personality traits and stress management in a 911 dispatcher population," Bowes said.

Bowes was asked to paint a mural by Larissa Niec, a clinical psychology faculty member and director of the CCFC. Niec discovered Bowes's artistic talent during a Child Assessment course, when Bowes featured some of her artwork in a presentation.

“I mostly paint in oil as a hobby and I occasionally paint human and pet portraits on commission for friends and family,” Bowes said.

Bowes fell in love with art because she said it was a good way to relieve stress.

"Even when paintings don't turn out the way I want they to, I have never found it frustrating," Bowes said. “I like the saying ‘art for art's sake,’ and don't always feel the need to create for anything other than the process itself."

The two worked together to add a heartwarming element to the CCFC.

"I worked with Jaclyn to develop a mural theme that would be welcoming to the families who visit the CCFC, while reflecting the Central Michigan environment," Niec said.

Bowes said animals were chosen since many children's stories and nursery rhymes include animals as main characters.

"(We) discussed themes that would be appropriate and accessible for children who are seen at the clinic, but are also appealing to the adults who work at the clinic or bring their children in as clients," Bowes said.

For inspiration, Bowes researched Michigan wildlife. 

“I wanted to incorporate elements that would feel familiar to children and parents in the surrounding community,” she said. “I moved here from Texas for the graduate program, so I needed to do some extra research to familiarize myself with the fauna of Michigan."

Bowes hopes the mural will promote learning and curiosity for the children who visit the CCFC. Eventually, she wants to add to the mural.

“I think there is a positive association between art and a space that is intended to improve personal or family wellbeing," Bowes said. "It would be great if elements of the mural spark a conversation between children, parents, and clinicians."