Back to class: What you need to know as CMU resumes spring semester classes

Business operations continue, residence halls reopen cautiously as coronavirus alert continues

mac-tournament-corona-11

A Mid American Conference official walks in an empty section of the concourse March 11 at Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse in Cleveland, Ohio.

Classes at Central Michigan University are scheduled to resume March 16. As the semester moves forward, students may experience some uncertainty about online-only classes or have questions about returning to campus. 

All CMU classes have been moved to an online format until April 6, and students have been advised to not return to campus after spring break. 

Administrators have created a page on the university website, “Coronavirus: What CMU students, faculty & staff need to know,” to help answer basic questions about how the pandemic is affecting students, staff and faculty. You can also get up-to-date information on CMU’s news page

"The coronavirus presents unprecedented challenges for all of us, and I understand you will have questions about new developments and university actions," President Bob Davies wrote in an email sent to students and staff on March 13. "As we work as swiftly as possible to respond to the changing situation, questions may sometimes outpace answers. I urge everyone to practice patience and compassion as we move through this together."

Here are answers from university officials for some of the most frequently asked questions: 

What is CMU doing to prevent the spread of the coronavirus? 

The university has activated Emergency Management committees — composed of leaders from across campus — to monitor the rapidly evolving situation and to adjust CMU operations accordingly. We are following guidance from the CDC, the World Health Organization and our local and state health departments. We will continue to respond swiftly to information as it becomes available.

How do I stay informed about what is happening on campus and in the state? 

Any university updates will be posted on the coronavirus updates page and the CMU news page. 

Information related to the virus is subject to change. In addition to checking this page for updates, stay connected to other reliable sources. Here are links to websites with COVID-19 information:

What if I feel anxious or upset and need to speak to someone about my concerns? 

Some members of the CMU community may be directly affected by the virus without themselves being sick. The news, as well as the uncertainty, can feel unsettling. If you would like to speak to  someone, students can call the CMU Counseling Center at (989) 774-3381 to schedule an appointment with a counselor or to learn more about counseling resources on campus. Contact the Counseling Center at (989) 774-3381.

Faculty and staff can find support through the Employee Assistance Program, a program that provides free consulting, coaching and advocacy, and counseling.

If you have concerns about the health or well-being of another student or employee, you may submit a Care Report to CMU Cares.

Is CMU open or closed? 

The Mount Pleasant campus is open and business operations continue. Staff are expected to report to work.

Here is the latest on-campus services through March 23:

• The Student Activity Center is closed.
  • The Park Library is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday. The after-hours study room will be open from 7 a.m. on Monday at 5 p.m. on Friday. Ask-a-Librarian will be available on regular hours online.
  • The Counseling Center is open and also provides online counseling services.
  • CMU Health clinics in Mount Pleasant and Saginaw will continue to observe normal hours of operation. 
  • The Testing Center is open for testing including standardized testing (GRE, MTTC, GMAT, ASBOG, etc.). Call 989-774-1092 for testing hours.

What is going on with my classes? 

CMU shifts to online classes only until April 6. A decision about whether to extend online classes beyond that date will be announced on April 4. Provost Mary C. Schutten is providing faculty with guidance related to online learning.

Should I come back to my residence hall room or stay home?  

CMU recommends that students with permanent residences off-campus remain there at this time. However, the university is reopening residence halls on March 15 for residents who need a place to stay. Residence hall staffing and services, including front desk operations, may be adjusted. Residents must use their CentralCard to enter their hall through the lobby door.

Are undergrad student employees required to go to work? 

Student employees are not required to work, but students working in areas that are still operating should contact their supervisors.

Are graduate student assistants required to go to work? 

Graduate student assistants are expected to come to work. They should check in with their supervisors.