Virtual forums for Senior Vice Provost candidates to be livestreamed this week

screen-shot-2020-04-14-at-12-32-23-pm
Senior Vice Provost candidate Cheryl Torsney speaks about her experience in higher education during a virtual candidate forum April 14.

Despite the Michigan stay home, stay safe order preventing universities from having gatherings, Central Michigan University will continue administrator searches.

Four finalists have been chosen for the position of Senior Vice Provost for Academic Affairs. Normally, each candidate would speak and answer questions at a forum on campus, but that isn't possible during the coronavirus pandemic. Instead, forums will be conducted over livestream instead, which will be available to all students, faculty and staff to watch. 

Each forum will be streamed at 1 p.m. on its respective day. Livestream links and background information about the candidates can be found on CMU's website

Cheryl Torsney, the current Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs at Middle Tennessee State University, will speak at a forum on Tuesday, April 14.

On Wednesday, April 15, there is a forum for Julia Johnson, a professor of communication studies and women's, gender and sexuality studies at California State University, San Marcos. She previously served there as dean of the College of Humanities, Arts, Behavioral and Social Sciences. Before that, she was dean of the College of Liberal Studies at University of Wisconsin - La Crosse.

On Friday, April 17, there is a forum for Jennifer Fager, the Vice President of Academic Affairs at Mid Michigan College in Harrison. She also teaches a general education course at CMU.

The final forum will be Monday, April 20. Kristi Haik, Dean of College of Arts and Sciences at Ferris State University will be featured at the forum. Haik is a CMU alumna – she earned her bachelor's, master's and doctorate degrees from CMU.

The Senior Vice Provost of Academic Affairs will report directly to Executive Vice President and Provost Mary Schutten and will provide strategic oversight related to the support of CMU students.

College of Health Professions Dean Tom Masterson is leading the search with a 12-person committee and assistance from search firm Greenwood/Asher and Associates.