SGA inaugurates Prebelich-Houle Administration

screenshot-2020-04-09-at-7-06-44-pm

SGA President-elect Kaitlyn Prebelich delivers her inaugural speech Thursday, April 9.

Kaitlyn Prebelich and Brett Houle were inaugurated as Central Michigan University’s next president and vice president of the Student Government Association April 9 via WebEx livestream.

In their inaugural speeches, Prebelich and Houle said it was an honor to serve the student body in SGA’s centennial year and guide it through unprecedented times.

“Tough times call for strong leaders,” president-elect Prebelich said. “I want to assure every one of our students at CMU I’m ready to take on these challenges we’re facing.”

“I promise I will work endlessly to ensure you feel supported and represented,” vice president-elect Houle said. “Our administration will meet and be accessible to all students.”

Special events committee chair Boluwatife Ogungboye, who campaigned with Prebelich and Houle, was sworn in as treasurer. 

The livestreamed ceremony was bittersweet for the outgoing administration. Its closing minutes were filled with farewells to friends and colleagues some may not see again next year and never said goodbye to in person. 

“Walking into this last year, I knew this was going to be my favorite involvement,” House Leader Anna Whitwam said. “Genuinely, thank you for impacting my life in so many ways. We didn’t all get to say goodbye, so I hope to see you all very soon.”

Four students were sworn in as senators: 

• Lansing junior Ramiro Garcia
  • Jackson senior Savannah Dragan
  • Detroit freshman Aubre Thomas
  • Troy sophomore Sara Pope

SGA’s 2019-20 leadership was celebrated with an awards ceremony. The following awards were given:

• Outstanding Organizational Member: Parliamentarian Kyle Walker
  • Outstanding Cabinet Member: Sustainability committee chair Kalli Walz
  • Outstanding Senate Member: Senator Caleob Mitchell
  • Outstanding House Member: House representative Ziere Sasnett

The following students were awarded as outstanding members of their committees: Maggie Somerville of the Diversity committee, Max Ranger of the Governmental Affairs committee, Skyler Peggie of the Special Events committee, Sarah Bidgood of the Sustainability committee, Ashley Stepniak of the Academic Affairs committee and Ilyssa Kraft of the Outreach committee.

Students can apply for 19 positions in Prebelich and Houle's executive cabinet on Engage Central. Positions include chief of staff, chief equity/inclusion officer and committee chairs.