Relationship with offensive line coach Mike Cummings plays big role in 2021 offensive lineman Kyle Long's commitment

Central Michigan offensive line coach Mike Cummings instructs his players during drills at the open practice April 13 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

After building a relationship with offensive line coach Mike Cummings, Kyle Long was ready to spurn colleges closer to home for a chance to play for Central Michigan. Though schools such as Missouri Southern, Missouri State and Murray State were closer to the Florissant, Missouri native, the relationship with the coaching staff was the deciding factor in Long choosing Central Michigan. 

"I really like coach Cummings," Long said. "He was a nice guy in the recruiting process and that played a big role in my commitment to the school." 

Long announced his commitment to Central Michigan on May 7, doing so on Twitter. Though he doesn't have a ranking or any stars attached to his name by 247 Sports, Long has a mentality that will fit in perfectly with the Chippewas. 

"(I'm) a team player, an all-around player," he said. "I'll play any position."

At Hazelwood Central High School, Long was an all-conference left tackle last season. His 6-foot-6 frame projects well at the college level. Long has strength and athleticism, both of which are good signs for a recruit looking to contribute from day one. 

"Long was a top performer at last summer's Lindenwood Mega Camp," writes Allen Trieu of 247 Sports. "At 247, we see Long as a higher-ceiling prospect who is a good developmental tackle based on his size and skill set."

Long joins Ypsilanti Lincoln offensive guard Trevor Jones as the only offensive linemen commits to this point in Central Michigan's 2021 class.