Davies announces salary reductions, cuts at every level in faculty email

stockcmuseal

The Central Michigan University seal sits in front of Warriner Hall Aug. 25 on CMU's campus.

Central Michigan University President Bob Davies announced that there will be significant budget reductions at every level of the university due to challenges caused by the coronavirus in an email to faculty May 4. 

All vice presidents, deans and some senior level professional and administrative staff have had their salaries reduced from two and eight percent, according to an email from President Bob Davies. 

Davies, himself, has reduced his salary by 10 percent, according to the same email. This decision comes after the spring 2020 virtual Board of Trustees meeting highlighted several economic challenges the university will face due to the pandemic. 

“These reductions will impact numerous programs and we will likely lose some positions,” the email read. “These will be difficult decisions: We know they will have a direct and significant impact on members of our university family.”

College deans have also been asked to restrict discretionary spending and university-sponsored travel, according to the email. Paid administrative leave will not extend beyond May 15. 

In the same email, Davies announced a possible approach to get employees back on campus with a phased, strategic approach, in accordance with guidance from Gov. Gretchen Whitmer's office. 

The university plans to release details regarding the second summer class session in “the next couple of weeks,” the email read.