Zavier Warren drafted by Brewers in 2020 MLB Draft

brockman-baseball-2
Freshman infielder Zavier Warren throws the ball to first base during the game against Northwestern at Theunissen Stadium on March 16.

Zavier Warren has been drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers with the 92nd overall pick in the 2020 MLB Draft. 

Warren, who played shortstop at Central Michigan each of the last two seasons, played a significant role in the team's 2019 run to the Mid-American Conference regular-season and tournament titles and the NCAA Tournament. After that season, Warren earned All-America honors. 

During that 2019 season, Warren set a pair of season records with 59 walks and 23 doubles. Warren also found himself in the top-10 of several categories of season records.

In 2019, Warren finished third in runs (73), tied for third in RBIs (70), fourth in hits (90), tied for fourth in extra-base hits (33), fifth in at-bats (244) and sixth in total bases (141). 

During his three seasons at CMU, Warren carried a .325 batting average in 129 games (127 starts). He scored 126 times on 162 hits and 104 RBIs. Warren also hit nine home runs, eight of which came in 2019. 

In the field, Warren totaled 166 assists, 121 putouts and just 15 errors in 302 chances. Warren also was involved in 35 double plays with the Chippewas. 

In the 2020 season, which was cut short in mid-March due to the coronavirus pandemic, Warren played in all 17 games, scoring 17 times on 21 hits, driving in nine runs, including a home run. 

After the 2019 season, Warren, a Southfield native, had a standout season in the Cape Cod Baseball League — the top summer league for college players — with a .315 batting average. He also played third base to add to his flexibility around the infield. 

The 2020 MLB Draft has been cut from 40 rounds to five due to the COVID-19 crisis. Warren was one of 160 players selected in the draft.