Tony Poljan enters transfer portal

cmufootballsept14-15

Central Michigan tight end Tony Poljan celebrates after catching a touchdown pass against Akron Sept. 14 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. 

Tony Poljan is going to use his final year of eligibility somewhere other than Central Michigan. 

Poljan, a redshirt senior tight end, announced on Twitter on July 15 that he has entered the transfer portal.

"Thank you CMU for the past four years," Poljan tweeted. "After (careful) thought, I have decided to enter the transfer portal." 

At tight end in 2019, Poljan appeared in 12 games making 33 catches for 496 yards and four touchdowns. His longest reception of his CMU career came Oct. 19 in a Week 8 victory at Bowling Green. 

In his four years as a Chippewa, Poljan appeared in 39 games, including all 12 games in the 1-11 campaign in 2018 and 12 games in 2019. He also played in each of the Chippewas' 13 games in 2017. 

Poljan excelled at tight end in 2019 and played quarterback in 2017 and 2018, serving as the starter in 2018. In the 2018 season, Poljan threw for 625 yards, completing 76 of 147 passes with five interceptions and two touchdowns. 

As a rusher, Poljan picked up 248 yards in 2017-18 scoring a touchdown on the ground in each season. 

Wherever Poljan lands, he will be eligible to play immediately. 

Coming out of Lansing Catholic High School, Poljan picked up offers from Eastern Michigan, Buffalo, Minnesota, Nebraska and Michigan State. Poljan was committed to play for the Golden Gophers, but backed out in November 2015, according to 247 Sports

Poljan earned Second Team All-Mid-American Conference honors in 2019. 

In high school, Poljan was named Gatorade Player of the Year in 2015, he was listed as the No. 17 recruit in the state by the Detroit Free Press and No. 20 on the Lansing State Journal Catch-22 list. 

The move leaves Bernhard Raimann, Joel Wilson and Austin Hergott to tend for the starting spot. Raimann, a junior in 2020, has caught 20 passes for 164 yards and has appeared in all 26 games in the last two seasons. 

Wilson, a redshirt sophomore, missed all but three games in 2019 with a leg injury suffered in the season-opener against Albany.