At least two Dog Central employees exposed to COVID-19

travelchannel-dogcentral01
Cars sit in front of Dog Central while the Travel Channel show "Man vs. Food" films inside, Thursday, November 30, 2017 on E Michigan Street in Mount Pleasant, Michigan.

Dog Central owner Paul McFall closed his store today after finding out at least two of his employees had been exposed to COVID-19.

"Out of an abundance of caution and limited staff, I have no choice but to close the restaurant for today," the Facebook post read. "At least two staff members have been in contact with others/roommates who have confirmed positive cases as of this morning. None have worked or been to (Dog Central) since possible exposure."

The restaurant will reopen tomorrow, McFall said. Employees have been tested and are awaiting results.

Dog Central employs exclusively CMU students. The employees were most likely exposed by roommates who are now in quarantine. 

"I cannot control what happens outside these doors, and it seems to be spreading rapidly on campus," the post read. "I will not risk other staff member or customer safety."

In the comment section of the post, Mayor Will Joseph and others applauded Clayton for his decision to close the store.

"This is a tough decision but you made the right one, and I thank you for it," Joseph said in response to the Facebook post.

Central Michigan University announced Tuesday that confirmed COVID-19 cases increased by 54 during the first week of Fall 2020 classes. 

Students who tested positive were identified and instructed to isolate or quarantine, CMU President Bob Davies said. The university is now working closely with the Central Michigan District Health Department on contact tracing. 

CORRECTION: The owner of Dog Central was misidentified in the first copy of this story. The mistake was quickly changed. We apologize for any inconvenience.