Rise in COVID-19 cases linked to students returning to CMU, says Central Michigan District Health Department

College students gather outside Deerfield apartments Aug. 15 to celebrate Welcome Weekend.

The Central Michigan District Health Department (CMDHD) has seen an uptick in COVID-19 cases associated with the return of Central Michigan University students.

Since last week, there have been a total of 38 new positive cases in Isabella County, said the department’s Emergency Preparedness Coordinator Melissa DeRoche. A majority of these cases were linked to students returning, she said.

Many individuals in Mount Pleasant and the surrounding areas who recently tested positive for the virus attended large gatherings or live with several other roommates, according to a press release from the health department.

CMDHD encourages anyone who attended large gatherings or live in situations that lack social distancing to monitor themselves for COVID-19 symptoms and consider getting tested. 

Testing locations can be found by visiting www.michigan.gov/coronavirustest or by calling 211, according to the press release.

Department officials also ask people to answer questions from health department staff and to quarantine when asked to by health officials and CMU.