Welcome Weekend violations low amid coronavirus

shop-with-a-cop3273

A Mount Pleasant Police Department car sits outside Walmart on Dec. 12.

Last year it was bad weather, this year it's a global pandemic. 

Welcome Weekend violations have continued their four-year decline as students returned to Central Michigan University last week.

"This year was on course to reaching our goal for decreased destructive activity during Welcome Weekend," said Public Information Officer for the Mount Pleasant Police Department Autume Balcom. "We intend to keep building a positive relationship with the students."

Thursday through Saturday nights the Mount Pleasant and CMU Police Departments were assisted by five other law enforcement agencies including officers from Midland, Shepherd and the state police. 

During those nights, police cited four people for hosting nuisance parties, three people for drunk driving, seven people for open intoxicants (or illegal possession of alcohol) and two for minor in possession, according to the Aug. 17 and 18 police logs.

Those numbers were just off-campus. CMUPD officer Mike Sienkiewicz said there were no alcohol violations or nuisance parties reported on campus. 

"One factor that contributed to that was the no over-night guest policy in the residence halls," Sienkiewicz said. "The people who get tickets are not typically CMU students, generally, they're visitors. Without that population, it brought the numbers down."

This year, the impact of COVID-19 had a definite affect on partying. 

Earlier in the week police went door-to-door in the neighborhood north of campus, urging people to follow CMU health and safety guidelines. 

Balcom said officers were encouraged to wear masks while on patrol. However, photos and videos surfaced on social media showed some officers neglecting masks.

"As the (Governor's) executive orders change, so does our policies (within the MPPD)," Balcom said. "Other agencies that assisted us could've had different guidelines."

President Bob Davies went on a ride-along with the CMU Police Department to several off-campus houses and apartments. He said that at each gathering he encouraged students to wear masks and practice social distancing. 

"I want to reiterate that message as often as possible and everywhere possible," Davies said. "We all share a responsibility to protect ourselves and others, and to slow the spread of COVID-19, whether we are in a classroom or in a social setting."

Last year, police wrote citations for 13 open intoxicants and four nuisance parties.