Slight increase in COVID-19 cases over Labor Day weekend

covid-7
A sign for COVID-19 testing sits outside of Foust Hall on Friday, Sept. 4, 2020.

The Central Michigan District Health Department reported a slight increase in cases over Labor Day weekend.

This came after CMU announced 44 new cases in its community between Aug. 31 and Sept. 6, a decrease from the previous week. According to the Fired Up for Fall webpage, there have been a total of 186 cases within the CMU community since June 15. Of these cases, 37 are active.

The new university case count differs from the 253 confirmed cases reported by the health department as of Sept. 8 related to CMU students returning to the Mount Pleasant area since Aug. 16. According to a press release from the health department, this case count in Isabella County includes another 15 that are probable.

This is up from eight confirmed cases from Friday, Sept. 4 and another two that were probable.

Davies said in an Aug. 28 email that the university’s number differs from the health department because the department’s counts include cases they believe are related to students returning that are not current CMU students, staff and faculty. Those cases are not included in CMU’s count, he said.

According to the department’s website, Isabella County has seen 509 COVID-19 cases since the beginning of the pandemic. Recoveries are at 161 and deaths are currently at 10.