CRIME LOG: Man admits to stealing 'thin blue line' flag from vehicle

The following incidents were among those handled by the Mount Pleasant Police Department and Central Michigan University Police Department from Sept. 14-21.

Sept. 14

An 18-year-old man admitted to stealing a "thin blue line" flag at about 3 a.m. from a parked vehicle in Lot 1 on CMU's campus. He had reportedly taken the flag, and swiped into a residence hall which was how CMUPD identified him. He also gave the name of a second person involved, who had reportedly broken the car's rearview mirror and partially peeled off a sticker from the car. The case has been turned over to the Isabella County Prosecutor's office.

Sept. 15

MPPD officers received a call around 8:30 p.m. from a woman who said that her car was stolen by her niece. The aunt reportedly was able to call her niece and ask for her car to be returned. The aunt did not end up pressing charges.

Sept. 16

MPPD officers were dispatched to O'kelly's around 3 a.m. because a 23-year-old Potterville woman was trying to break into the bar after they closed. She had reportedly been removed from the bar earlier that evening. Officers were able to locate and pull her over. She failed all sobriety tests administered by the officer, and after taking a breathalyzer test it was found that she had a blood alcohol content of 0.20 percent -- almost three times the legal limit. The woman was arrested for operating while intoxicated and lodged at Isabella County Jail. 

MPPD officers received a call around 1:30 p.m. from a mother who reported that her daughter had run away. The mother said that this was an ongoing issue and that her daughter had run away multiple times before. Later on, officers got a call saying that the mother had found her daughter. 

Sept. 17

CMUPD and the Mount Pleasant Fire Department were dispatched to Thorpe Hall at about 8 p.m. After the residence hall evacuated, it was determined that a faulty washing machine was smoking and set off the fire alarm. The incident was turned over to Facilities Management to repair the machine.

Sept. 21

An 18-year-old man in Saxe Hall reported his $200 Apple AirPods and $50-70 in cash stolen from his room. CMUPD interviewed his roommates, but none of them admitted to stealing. However, one of the man's roommates offered to replace the AirPods.