CRIME LOG: Police searching for Hobby Lobby thief

shop-with-a-cop3273

A Mount Pleasant Police Department car sits outside Walmart on Dec. 12.

The following incidents were among those handled by the Mount Pleasant Police Department and Central Michigan University Police Department from Sept. 9- Sept. 14

Sept. 9

A city police officer ran the plates of a car at 8:15 p.m. on Mission Street. The vehicle didn’t have any insurance or registration. The driver was a 40-year-old Mount Pleasant woman. Her license was suspended and she had three prior driving offenses. The officer found an open container of alcohol a bottle of pills in the vehicle. The woman was arrested for violation of a controlled substance and driving while license suspended and no insurance. She was then taken to Isabella County Jail for processing.

A 27-year-old man arrived at the CMU police department around 1 p.m., claiming federal government officials had a "hit" on him. He said he had been in the upper peninsula when a team of federal agents tried to jump the fence, come into his house and shoot him. He was exhibiting paranoid behavior and was transported to the emergency room for a medical evaluation.

Sept. 10

A police officer responded to an accident at the intersection of South Mission Street and East Maple Street at about 8 p.m. The driver, a 25-year-old Alma man, had slurred speech and the scent of alcohol in his breath. The driver was asked to take a breathalyzer test, which revealed he had a blood alcohol content of 0.17 percent. He was arrested for operating while intoxicated and he was taken to Isabella County Jail.

Sept. 11

Officers were called to Meijer around 5 p.m. responding to potential retail theft. The suspects were a 35-year-old man and a 32-year-old woman. When officers arrived individuals who matched the description walked quickly out of the store. Officers chased them on foot until they caught and detained them. The Meijer theft department said they had been caught on camera stealing electronics. They tried to steal over $480 dollars of electronics, shoes and clothing. Both were arrested for retail fraud and taken to Isabella County Jail.

Sept. 12

CMUPD responded to a fight in Celani Hall where a 20-year-old man punched a 19-year-old man in the face. The victim declined medical treatment and decided not to pursue charges. The 20-year-old man was not a CMU student and was asked to leave campus.

Police responded to an altercation around 11 p.m involving a couple at The Bird. Officers got word the couple was arguing at the Speedway gas station. Upon arriving at the gas station they saw that the man had blood around his lips and mouth and bumps on the side of his head. The man said that his wife, a 23-year-old Mount Pleasant woman, had punched him because they were arguing about her not wanting to leave the bar. After changing the story multiple times, she was eventually arrested for domestic violence and was taken to Isabella County Jail.

Sept 13

Officers were called at about 4 a.m. to the intersection of South University Street and East May Street where a man was running down the street screaming. Witnesses said they saw a boyfriend yelling at his girlfriend and then hit her in the head with a water bottle. The girlfriend fell to the ground after being hit and the boyfriend ran off screaming. Officers canvassed the area and found the boyfriend, a 28-year-old Mount Pleasant man, and his girlfriend walking down the sidewalk yelling at each other. The girlfriend had a cut on her head by her left eye and the boyfriend was holding a black plastic water bottle with a handle. It was clear to the officers that the boyfriend was very drunk. The man was arrested for domestic violence and taken to Isabella County Jail.

Sept. 14

Officers received a call around 5 p.m. from Hobby Lobby that a woman had stolen over $500 worth of merchandise. The suspect is a woman with dark and auburn tones in her late 50s or early 60s. She was last seen wearing a cheetah print shirt, drawstring khaki pants and carrying a large black purse. Officers are still trying to identify the woman. The anonymous tip line can be reached by dialing (989) 779-9111 and is open for anyone who may know more information about this case.