University Art Gallery displays two new exhibits

art-gallery-sept-2020
Faculty member Israel Davis’ piece Ghost, Clouds, and Rainbows 1-4 sits displayed in the University Art Gallery Sept. 16. The piece is made with ceramic, epoxy, paint, and wood.

The University Art Gallery is open with two new exhibits and several COVID-19 restrictions.

The exhibits "Department of Art and Design Faculty Exhibit" and "Bivouac" by Hannah Perrine Mode, the Barstow 2020 Artist-in-Residence, are now on display from Sept. 10 through Oct. 1.

Each year, the Barstow AIR program provides a residence, studio, stipend and university resources to a practicing artist.  

Mode's exhibit "Bivouac" is on display in the West Art Gallery.

Her exhibit uses cyanotype print fabric set up in various forms around the room to “orbit around notions of shelter, hydrologic systems, and embodied memory, blending utilitarian technology with domestic handiwork," according to the exhibits description.

Mode will be giving the annual Barstow Artist-in-Residence talk at 5 p.m. Sept. 29 on WebEx. The event can be accessed with the access code 120 197 1939 and password M2XmXVPQ4S2.

In the main gallery, students can view works of art created by faculty members. Anne Gochenour, the director of the art gallery, said students can expect to see all sorts of mediums in the faculty exhibit.

Gochenour said that each faculty members have different interests. The faculty participating in this year’s faculty show case are Kate Kinder, Mike Volker, Kris Stanford, Ryan Fletcher, David Stairs, Israel Davis, Steve Leeper and Kayla Lindeman.

Due to social distancing requirements, only 10 individuals are allowed in the gallery at a time. Goucher isn’t worried about people not following the rules.

“You don’t have to stand close to people in a gallery," Goucher said. "You just have to look at the art."