Hispanic Heritage Month to be hosted virtually

capture
Hispanic Heritage Month will occur from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15

Hispanic Heritage Month is dedicated to recognizing and celebrating Hispanic and Latinx people for their overall contributions to and influence on history.

It will be celebrated Sept. 15 through Oct. 15 at Central Michigan University. The Multicultural Academic Student Services is featuring events virtually and grab-and-go activities sponsored by Greek Life organizations.

Hispanic Heritage Month events are important for our campus community to attend because they can gain a better insight into the history and culture of Hispanic and Latinx people, said Waterford junior and Multicultural Distinctive Scholar Kevin Bautista-Mancilla. 

All events are free and open to the CMU community. People are encouraged to check out the MASS website where they will be sharing additional opportunities for cultural awareness.

"Being a global citizen and developing intercultural competence is subjecting yourself to other cultures," Wade Tomson, assistant director of MASS, said. “I believe it is imperative for all CMU scholars to increase their cultural knowledge and awareness of others.  

The full schedule of Hispanic Heritage Month events is available on the MASS website. Events happening this month include the following: 

Mask Decorating 

Tuesday, Sept. 15. Masks are available for pick up at the Center for Inclusion and Diversity.

Latinx Discussion- Past, Present and Future

7 p. m.  Sept. 17 on Webex

Painting with Omar Arts

6 p.m. Sept. 28 on Webex (Supplies available in the CID)

Cooking Demonstration 

12 p.m. Oct. 5 on the MASS Hispanic Heritage Month Website

Latinx Discussion - Stereotypes that Latinx face when entering STEM fields

6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Oct. 5 on Webex

Latinx Discussion - Decolonize Your Mind: Recognizing Biases 

4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Oct. 9 on Webex  

Latinx Discussion – Various Dialects of the Spanish Language

6 p.m. Oct. 15 on Webex