CMU to host annual Legends of the Dark tour

dsc-0422-12

Katelyn Welch, 11, follows the student volunteer tour guides for Legends of the Dark campus tours Tuesday, Oct. 29.

For the past 25 years, Central Michigan University has been hosting a haunted tour through North Campus. 

"Legends of the Dark" is a late night adventure full of spooky stories and legends about the CMU campus. 

Traditionally, tours are accompanied by volunteers dressed in costume to scare participants. 

The annual event will be free, and take place Oct. 29 and 31 from 7:30-9:10 p.m. Hot chocolate and doughnuts will be available for free as well. 

In the past, "Legends of the Dark" has been open to the Mount Pleasant community. Due to safety guidelines, the tour has limited slots which are only open to students. Slots are available for sign up in advance.

Tour guides will be taking small groups of five through North Campus to abide by social distancing guidelines. Everyone is required to wear a mask, and tour guides will be provided with audio amplifiers to ensure they are heard clearly. 

Students are asked to check in on the front lawn of the UC at their desired time. Tour groups will leave the building every 10 minutes. This year's tour is shorter, estimated to be 30 minutes in length.

CMU has a long history of superstition. From stepping on the famous Central Michigan seal and failing your next exam, to a deceased pianist who can still be heard performing, "Legends of the Dark" will take you on a thrilling journey to learn about them all.