Pandemic Pastimes: Explore Papa's Pumpkin Patch

1a7758d7-9018-48da-9e67-84f2c9312654
Papa’s hay wagon adorns the pumpkin patch visage in preparation for the fall season, Tuesday, Oct. 13, 2020.

Spooky season is here, which means that it is time to carve pumpkins. Luckily, Mount Pleasant residents do not have to travel very far to get one.

Located at 3909 S. Summerton Rd. right outside of Union Township, Papa’s Pumpkin Patch offers plenty of produce to buy and activities. Both a farm and a storefront, Papa’s Pumpkin Patch is open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Tuesday through Saturday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday.

In this week’s edition of Pandemic Pastimes, Central Michigan Life explores the offerings of this pumpkin patch.

Papa’s Pumpkin Patch providing a plethora of pumpkins for all people on Summerton Rd. Tuesday, Oct. 13, 2020.

Fresh produce and food

While “pumpkin” is in the name, it is not the only thing grown at Papa’s. Owner Bill Miller said they grow and sell apples, sweetcorn, tomatoes and peppers, among other produce. Customers can purchase from the store, but masks must be worn inside the store.

Miller said the store sells apple cider and cider slushies, along with cider doughnuts made on site. Prairie Farm soft serve and Hudsonville hard serve ice cream are also offered at Papa’s.

Rows upon rows of pumpkins line the grounds at Papa’s Pumpkin Patch on Summerton rd. Tuesday, Oct. 13, 2020.

A trip to the pumpkin patch

What many people come for though is to pick a pumpkin. With the coronavirus pandemic still in full swing, Miller said pumpkins were planted close to the storefront in anticipation that COVID-19 would carry into the fall.

People can also ride wagons around the property and stop to pick pumpkins out of the field. Miller said mask must be worn when riding the wagon.

A walk through farmland

Some people come to the farm just to walk around, Miller said. The farm is about 140 acres, making social distancing relatively easy. There are plenty of roads that go through the property, with sights such as beehives and produce fields.

Pandemic pastimes is a weekly article series with suggestions of activities and events CMU students can partake in during the COVID-19 pandemic. If you have any local suggestions, please reach out to news@cm-life.com