Pumpkin Promenade canceled, city releases more Halloween updates

stockbordenbuilding-1

The sun sets on City Hall August 25 in downtown Mount Pleasant.

On a typical year, the Pumpkin Promenade is an event where children ages 12 and under can trick-or-treat from the local businesses in downtown Mount Pleasant. 

However, this is not a typical year.

In compliance with the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Central Michigan District Health Department (CMDHD), Mount Pleasant decided to not host the Pumpkin Promenade this year. The decision was not easy according to the city's press release.

"It was a tough decision for sure. Halloween is one of the events throughout the year that we know children and families look forward to," Director of Recreation and Sports Ryan Longoria said. "As always, participant and resident safety is our top priority so, that was a deciding factor." 

The CDC addressed many Halloween activities, such as trick-or-treating can be "high-risk for spreading viruses."Along with the CDC's classification, the CMDHD issued a public health emergency order limiting outdoor groups to 25 people or less. 

In another press release, city officials addressed trick-or-treating. While the CDC urges individuals to participate in low-risk Halloween activities, the participation for trick-or-treaters and residents is a personal decision. 

Trick-or-treating in Mount Pleasant is set for Oct. 31 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Trick-or-treaters are told to only go to houses with porch lights that are on. 

Trick-or-treaters are urged to follow CDC safety measures outlined in the release:

• Costume masks do not substitute for a cloth mask. Costume masks should not be used unless they are made of two or more layers of breathable fabric that does not leave gaps around the face and covers both the person's mouth and nose. 
  • A costume mask should not be worn over a protective cloth mask because this may make it difficult for the person to breathe. Instead, individuals should consider wearing a Halloween-themed cloth mask. 

Along with these guidelines, trick-or-treaters are expected to follow these standard safety tips:

• Remain on well-lit streets, and use sidewalks.
  •  A parent or responsible adult should always accompany young children.
  •  Look both ways before crossing the street, and use crosswalks.
  • Carry a flashlight and/or wear reflective clothing.