AD Amy Folan asks SGA for ideas, Academic Affairs finalizes exam kits

screen-shot-2020-10-20-at-8-25-29-am

A screenshot of the spreadsheet used for purchasing exam kit materials shows the inclusion of hot chocolate, slime, and candy.

With a notepad and pen in hand, Central Michigan University's Athletic Director Amy Folan asked the Student Government Association for ideas on how to bridge the gap between sports and the student body during the Oct. 19 SGA General Board meeting.

Students offered up ideas such as increasing CMU sports' social media presence, going as specific to ask for athletes to help promote different events on their social media pages. Brandon McDonald, newly elected SGA Chief of Staff, said a stronger social media presence could increase less-noticed sports' visibility and "draw more people to them."

"(We should) definitely encourage more sports besides the big ones everybody knows about," McDonald said. "I don't think there are many students that go to them unless they have friends that are on the team."

Some students raised a concern about more sports being cut this year due to COVID-19, but Folan said that she was not aware of any more plans to do that.

At the meeting, members of SGA's Academic Affairs also worked on finalizing exam kits.

Exam kits

Beside providing ideas to Folan, academic affairs finalized what will be going into the exam kits this semester. The exam kits are to help students prepare for their exams as well as methods to destress.

The committee was still unsure on a couple items, such as toy poppers. The exam kit will most likely include:

• Pencils
  • Slime
  • Candy
  • Hot chocolate
  • Disposable coffee cup
  • Stickers
  • Sanitizing wipes
  • Bouncy balls

When exams come around, students can pick up their kits from the front desk of their residence halls. There will also be a virtual exam kit, which will be more focused on academics and helping prepare students for the exam with tips on studying.

Other business

Recently, Vice President Mary Schutten sent out an email finalizing the schedule of the spring wellness days. The decision did not reflect SGA's recent vote — the student body voted in favor of only one Friday off by a 73 percent majority. Schutten's decision chose two Friday's off.

"While I do think that the university listened to student government, I do understand they had to take into account the wants and needs of faculty as well, especially when we are always advocating for proper representation in shared governance," SGA Vice President Brett John Houle said.

Chloe Ilaqua was approved as the new Academic Affairs committee chair, replacing Brandon McDonald. McDonald moved to the Chief of Staff role, and once again waived his stipend. This allows Ilaqua to receive a stipend and for academic affairs to have a larger budget for this semester.

There was no new or old business in the house and senate.