Incumbent John Moolenaar wins Michigan’s 4th Congressional District

us-rep-moolenaar

Incumbent John Moolenaar will retain his spot as congressman of Michigan’s 4th Congressional District after defeating Democratic candidate Jerry Hilliard.

The Associated Pressed called the race at about 4:22 a.m. with Moolenaar winning 65 percent of the vote to Hilliard's 32 percent.

Moolenaar is a current member of the House Appropriations Committee and has held the seat since 2015. His second term will start January 3. 

The 4th District covers most of mid-Michigan from Cadillac to north of Lansing.

Moolenaar was born and raised in Midland, has a bachelor’s degree in chemistry from Hope College and a master’s degree in Public Administration from Harvard University, according to his website. 

During his campaign, Moolenaar said the most important issue facing his district is defeating COVID-19 and  helping Michigan workers and small businesses recover and rebuild. 

“There was a strong economy before the pandemic with low unemployment, and in some cases, the number of jobs available was higher than the number of people looking for work,” he said. “We need to rebuild the economy, so graduates from CMU, and all Michigan workers, can pursue good-paying job opportunities.”

Moolenaar said he will be working to support policies that help those who need it most. 

He said these policies include a $2,000 child tax credit for working families, forgivable loans for small businesses and funding for job-training programs that prepare workers for opportunities in the skilled trades.