Chippewa men leave no doubt, blow out DIII Olivet

Huffman leads with 30, Chippewas move to .500

mbb-dec-20-2
Central Michigan junior guard Matt Beachler celebrates during a game against Olivet Dec. 20 at McGuirk Arena.

CMU's men's basketball team did what it need to do — 

Win, and do so convincingly. 

The Chippewas dominated Division III Olivet College 127-66 Sunday in McGuirk Arena to earn their fourth win of the season.

After losing to Division II Flagler College in the third game of the season, the Chippewas (4-4) showed strength on both ends to not replicate the loss to a team from a lower division. 

Coach Keno Davis said the main difference in his team has been the experience it has been through in the eight games in driving to Chicago for the opener, turning around to play in Miami, Florida for two games with a rested Flagler team on the back end. 

"The thing I like the most is that we didn't panic and feel like, 'Wait a second, we should be winning these games,'" Davis said. "The attitude continued to stay good, we were pulling each other up with great days of practice knowing we would become a better team and we didn't hit the panic button because (we're) 0-3." 

Redshirt junior guard Matt Beachler said the season was difficult to start because of the COVID-19 regulations and the fact CMU has eight new players on the roster. 

However, Beachler said that every team has similar challenges and overcoming those obstacles boil down to practice and communication.

"Just listening to (Davis) and what he wants" Beachler said. "Understanding his system and playing in the way he wants us to."

Offensively, CMU moved the ball well against the Comet defense and carried a 70-35 lead to the break. Defensively, the Chippewas shut the Comet offense down. 

The Chippewas shot 62.2 percent from the floor in the first half and 37.5 percent from 3-point range to double up the Comets (0-1) when the buzzer sounded for halftime. 

In the first 20 minutes, junior guard Caleb Huffman put up 24 points on 9-of-11 shooting from the field and 3-of-5 shooting from outside. 

Midway through the first half, Huffman went on an 8-0 run by himself with a pair of 3-pointers and a layup to spark the Chippewa offense. 

Senior guard Travon Broadway Jr. ended the first half in double figures with 13 points. 

The second half was more domination from the Chippewas, who outscored Olivet 57-31 in the second 20 minutes. 

Huffman finished with a game-high 30 points. He was 12-of-16 from the field and 3-of-7 from beyond the arc. Broadway scored 15 points in on 5-of-14 shooting and made a pair of triples from the corner. 

Freshman forward Aundre Polk finished with a double-double as he put up 13 points and grabbed a game-high 13 rebounds. Junior guard Ralph Bissanthe also finished with a double-double as he scored 17 points and pulled in 11 rebounds. 

In all, six Chippewas scored in double figures. 

"It was a good game for us," Beachler said. "They came out in a zone. ... It was a good look for us to move the ball against it, work out some kinks, something we haven't been able to do this year." 

Junior guard Derrick Johnson led the Comets with 26 points. 

As a team, CMU shot 56.4 percent from the field (44-of-78) and 37.1 percent from beyond the arc (13-of-35). The Chippewas were 26-of-36 from the free throw line (72.2 percent). 

Olivet struggled to shoot as it finished 31.9 percent from the field (22-of-69) and 22.9 percent (8-of-35) from 3-point range. 

"It was great to have Olivet come in here," Davis said. "It's always nice to get your local teams an opportunity. ... It was also good for us, every time we can step on the court and get a game situation, game-like atmosphere, that helps our guys.

"Proud of our guys of how they were able to keep their intensity over the 40 minutes." 

CMU outrebounded the Comets 63-29. 

CMU's next scheduled game is at 7 p.m. on Dec. 29 at Eastern Michigan.