Gold beats Maroon in wrestling intrasquad

wrestling-jan-17-1
Freshman wrestler Ben Cushman wrestles against Missouri Jan. 17 at McGuirk Arena.

Matt Stencel opened his redshirt senior season one of the best ways he knows how --

A pin. 

Stencel, a two-time All-American and defending Mid-American Conference Wrestler of the Year from Oregon, Ohio, defeated freshman Simon Lato to complete a 21-13 win for the Gold team in the Chippewas' intrasquad dual in McGuirk Arena on Sunday. 

In all, the Gold team picked up wins from redshirt junior Drew Marten (133) redshirt senior Dresden Simon (141) redshirt sophomore Corbyn Munson (149) redshirt freshman Johnny Lovett (157) and redshirt senior Landon Pelham (197). 

Redshirt senior Drew Hildebrandt (125) won by major decision while redshirt junior Jake Lowell (174) and redshirt sophomore Ben Cushman (184) each picked up wins for the Maroon team. There was no match at 165 on Sunday. 

Head coach Tom Borrelli said the match between Lovett and redshirt sophomore Tracy Hubbard was one of the better matches in the dual. Lovett -- a Glencoe, Illinois native -- won the match by 7-3 decision. 

"That was probably the most competitive match and a little bit of a surprise," Borrelli said. 

Last season, CMU put six wrestlers into the NCAA Tournament, which was canceled due to COVID-19. Hildebrandt, Simon and Stencel were each named All-Americans by the National Wrestling Coaches Association. Marten, Pelham and now-graduated Logan Parks each qualified for nationals. 

Going into his 30th season at the helm of the Chippewa program, Borrelli said Sunday's match was a great way to see how the changes amid the COVID-19 pandemic will affect this season. 

"I just think it was important for our guys to have an opportunity to wrestle in McGuirk Arena on the mat with a referee and a clock," Borrelli said. "We've been practicing a long time. Normally we start competing in November and we're about halfway through the season by this time."

Borrelli added his guys are ready to compete against someone other than themselves. The Chippewas will have that opportunity when they welcome Olivet College at 2 p.m. on Jan. 3 in McGuirk Arena. 

RESULTS: Gold 21, Maroon 13

125: Drew Hildebrandt (M) major dec. Vince Perez 12-1
133: Drew Marten (G) dec. Brock Bergelin 6-0
141: Dresden Simon (G) dec. Hunter Watts 10-3
149: Corbyn Munson (G) dec. Mason Breece 9-3
157: Johnny Lovett (G) dec. Tracy Hubbard 7-3
174: Jake Lowell (M) pinned Ryan Ringler (6:59)
184: Ben Cushman (M) dec. Sage Castillo 3-0
197: Landon Pelham (G) dec. Cade Dallwitz 8-2
285: Matt Stencel (G) pinned Simon Lato 1:47