Evaluating CMU's present, future options at quarterback as offseason begins

imr-0912

Redshirt junior Ty Brock extends his arms to catch a pass thrown by junior Kalil Pimpleton during Central Michigan's game at Toledo on Dec. 12 in the Glass Bowl. The play went for 34 yards. 

Four days after CMU's football team fell 24-23 to Toledo to finish its 2020 season at 3-3, news broke that senior David Moore had missed the campaign due to a second banned substance positive test and was due for an appeal.

A day later, he won the appeal

The following day, coach Jim McElwain added another horse to the quarterback race in Washington redshirt sophomore transfer Jacob Sirmon

Also, the Chippewas still return every player who took a snap for them in 2020, namely redshirt freshman Daniel Richardson and redshirt junior Ty Brock.  

This topsy-turvy start to the offseason has seemingly neared its conclusion, with Moore citing the uncertainty surrounding his eligibility status and jumping to the NFL Draft

Now, the Chippewas are likely to have at least seven options to choose from at the position, with Brock, Richardson and Sirmon likely to be the front runners. 

The team's other options are sophomores John Keller and Tyler Shearer along with freshmen Tyler Pape and Jase Bauer. 

It's difficult to see how it will shake out, as a lot of what goes into deciding a starting quarterback is discovered behind closed doors of team practices. However, CMU saw Richardson for four games and Brock in parts of five. Sirmon had limited experience with the Huskies but was highly-touted coming out of high school, and there's plenty of upside within the Chippewa youngsters. 

With so many options, what does CMU have at quarterback for not just 2021, but the years ahead? 

Who's who

Ty Brock

Eligibility: Redshirt junior

2020 stats: 5 G (2 starts), 38-65, 351 YDS, 2 TDS, 2 INTS, 25 CAR, 182 YDS, 2 TDS

The scoop: Though he's been a Chippewa for just about eight months, he's currently the veteran of the group in terms of eligibility and time spent at the college level. What he brings in the running game is valuable, as shown in his first start against Ball State. Yet, he didn't have to throw the ball downfield a ton, which leads one to believe there may not be a ton of confidence in his arm strength. 

Brock was 1-for-9 on passes of 20-plus yards, with the one completion being a 38-yard score to junior wide receiver Kalil Pimpleton. Both of his interceptions came on throws of that distance. Again, his ability to move around and extend plays is a weapon that only he possesses within this group, and could lead to a role similar to what Tommy Lazzaro played as a senior.  

Future outlook: Compete for starting job in 2021, play role as wildcat quarterback.

Jacob Sirmon

Eligibility: Redshirt sophomore

2020 stats: 1 G, 1-1, 9 YDS, 2 CAR, 5 YDS

The scoop: Sirmon was a four-star prospect and the top quarterback in the class of 2018 in Washington. However, he was unable to beat out Jacob Eason with the Huskies in his first two seasons and then again beat out by sophomore Dylan Morris. Sirmon committed to CMU on Dec. 18 and is a contender for the job based on potential alone. 

Sirmon was a guy that the Chippewas likely wanted badly, as he spent just two days in the transfer portal before committing to play for McElwain. With former NFL quarterback Charlie Frye in his corner, this could end up being an excellent landing spot for the development of this once highly-touted prospect. 

Future outlook: Compete for starting job in 2021 and beyond.

John Keller

Eligibility: Redshirt sophomore

2020 stats: DNP

The scoop: Not a ton is known about Keller outside of the fact that he transferred to the Chippewas from Cincinnati, where he spent just a year. He's a walk-on, but was reportedly performing well during spring ball last season. The road ahead of him is steep, but if there's a dark horse candidate to take snaps in the future, it's him. 

Future outlook: Backup option

Tyler Shearer

Eligibility: Redshirt sophomore

2020 stats: DNP

The scoop: Shearer is another walk-on who dressed for the first half of the Chippewa schedule. He's a transfer from Saint Francis, an FCS school in Pennsylvania, and he wasn't around for spring ball last season so little is known about what he can do. 

Future outlook: Backup option

Daniel Richardson

Eligibility: Redshirt freshman

2020 stats: 4 G (all starts), 63-99, 714 YDS, 4 TDS, 2 INTS

The scoop: As of now, Richardson is still billed as the future of the program. He was the guy McElwain turned to in Moore's absence. In his four game audition, there were plenty of things to be excited about, and there were also some low points. 

The coaching staff has a ton of confidence in his arm, and his numbers were solid. Yet, there is still plenty of room to grow in terms of his mobility and pocket presence. This is a big year for Richardson, as the one-year separation between he and Sirmon may end up dooming him for the next three seasons should he lose the job. 

Tyler Pape

Eligibility: Freshman

2020 stats: DNP

The scoop:  Pape was the Chippewas' quarterback in the 2020 class but elected to greyshirt along with a majority of his classmates. He remained committed to the program though he didn't play during the season and will get a chance to show his upside when he joins the team in January. 

Future outlook: Redshirt in 2021, compete for starting job in 2022.

Jase Bauer

Eligibility: Freshman

2020 stats: DNP

The scoop: After winning a 4A state championship in Iowa, Bauer picked up an offer from CMU about two weeks prior to signing day and ended up being the quarterback of the 2021 class. There's a lot of upside in this dual threat quarterback, but it sounds as though he won't join the race until the fall.