Max and Emily's to welcome Jeff Daniels for online performance

screen-shot-2020-12-01-at-11-57-25-am

Max and Emily’s is partnering with actor, musician and Central Michigan University alumnus Jeff Daniels for a virtual concert at 8 p.m. on Dec. 5.

The show was announced in a series of Facebook posts Max and Emily’s owner Chris “Elmo” Walton made throughout October and November.

Daniels is best known for his role as Harry Dunne in Dumb and Dumber (1994) alongside Jim Carrey plus his Emmy Award-winning performances in The Newsroom and Godless. Daniels kicked-off a music career in the early 2000s but his ties to acoustic folk music go back to the 70s.

Daniels briefly attended CMU in the 70s before dropping out to pursue a career in acting.

Walton said Dec. 5 will be the "sixth or seventh time" Daniels has played Max and Emily's. Walton and Daniels met nearly a decade ago through mutual friend and lead singer of The Verve Pipe, Brian Vander Ark. 

While seeking performers for Max and Emily's 2010 Summer Concert Series, Walton reached out to Vander Ark and Daniels' manager. Despite the event being free to the public, Daniels agreed to make the trip to Mount Pleasant. What Daniels expected to be a few hundred audience members turned into over 2000.

"Famous yes, he's a two-time Emmy Award winner, but he is a Michigan man," one of Walton's posts read." He is just as comfortable talking about the Tigers with you like you have been every year with your best friend."

Daniels will answer questions submitted by audience members following his set.

Tickets can be purchased for 15 dollars using Crowdcast. Walton said only one ticket needs to be purchased per household.

“We are thrilled to be a part of this special evening, and will be glued to our television,” the post read.