Lights-out performance: Rodent caused power outage at Nov. 4 football game on ESPN

During the Ohio versus CMU football game, the Kelly/Shorts Stadium overhead lights lost power, Wednesday, Nov. 4.

A national television audience tuned in Nov. 4 to watch the Chippewas battle Ohio University on ESPN. It was the first night of the COVID-19 shortened Mid-American Conference football season that drew more than 700,000 viewers. But it was a spirited, cold rodent that temporarily stole the spotlight from the game.  

Vice President of Finance and Administrative Services Nick Long said that a rodent was the cause of the power outage that left viewers, and both football teams, in the dark. 

"We had a mouse climb in there, and essentially hit the third rail, so to speak, causing that outage," Long explained during the Central Michigan University Board of Trustees Finance and Facilities committee meeting on Dec. 2. "That was not a matter of our infrastructure having a problem. At that time of year things are starting to cool off. Critters go inside looking for warmth. This particular one found it."

President Bob Davies said the rodent, which he called "a rat," was in a transformer area that was due to be reconstructed. Although many people have wondered how such a small creature could cause such a big problem, Davies said it happens more often than people would think.

"I know that some people named the rat, Sparky," Davies said.

The animal did not survive its run-in with the electrical system.

"Sparky was found at the scene," Davies commented, and "is now in the 'big tree' in the sky."