CMU offensive lineman Romello Tarver enters transfer portal

new-mexico-bowl-game-10

Central Michigan coach Jim McElwain paces the sideline against San Diego State during the New Mexico Bowl Dec. 21 at Dreamstyle Stadium in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Central Michigan football offensive lineman Romello Tarver entered the NCAA transfer portal on Jan. 14. 

Tony Paul of The Detroit News first reported Tarver's intent to transfer. 

Tarver, a redshirt sophomore from Delray Beach, Florida, never appeared in a game for the Chippewas. After a redshirt season in 2018, he underwent knee surgery and missed the entire 2019 season. He also missed each of the Chippewas' 10 spring practices in 2020.  

Chippewa coach Jim McElwain spoke highly of Tarver during preseason meetings with reporters; however, Tarver did not appear in any of the Chippewas' six games in 2020. Without Tarver, converted junior tight end Bernhard Raimann emerged as the Chippewas' starting left tackle, while Derek Smith started on the right side. Raimann, along with the Chippewas' starting center Jammez Kimbrough and both starting guards, Danny Motowski and Deiyantei Powell-Woods, are expected to return in 2021. 

Before CMU, Tarver attended Oxbridge Academy. There, he was first team All-Palm Beach County in 2017. He was a 2-star recruit with a 247 composite rating of .7742 in the Chippewas' 2018 class.