Kolodziej arraigned, pleads not guilty to two felony charges

brian-kolo

Brian Kolodziej. Central Michigan Life file photo

Former Michigan Assistant Attorney General Brian Kolodziej pleaded not guilty to two counts of common law offense on Jan. 5 in Isabella County Trial Court.

Magistrate Sandra Straus presided over Kolodziej's arraignment. She scheduled his probable cause conference for 8:15 a.m. on Feb. 18. His preliminary exam is 1:15 p.m. on Feb. 25.

Following the publication of a 2018 Central Michigan Life story, Kolodziej was assigned to the sexual assault case involving former CMU Student Government Association President Ian Elliott. The Cheboygan man was set to face sexual assault charges after former CMU student Rachel Wilson accused him of rape. Interim Isabella County Prosecutor Robert Holmes dismissed the case.

Attorney General Bill Schuette authorized issuing new charges against Elliott. Kolodziej filed three charges of sexual assault against Elliott on Oct. 31, 2019. Additional charges were filed against Elliott by Landrea Blackmore after she testified at Elliott's preliminary exam.

According to court documents, Kolodziej is accused of manipulating investigative documents related to the Elliott case. Kolodziej had a disagreement with Special Agent Karen Fairley, regarding the wording of her report. After Fairley requested to be removed from his team due to the disagreement, Kolodziej presented the manipulated report to the pre-sentence investigator in July 2019.

Fairley's original report was discovered on Kolodziej's computer and showed discrepancies between the two that made Elliot appear "more culpable."

After Elliot's defense team accused Kolodziej of misconduct, the AG’s office offered Elliott a revised plea agreement. He pleaded no contest to fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct on Jan. 17, 2019. 

Kolodziej's other offense was having an intimate relationship with Wilson while continuing to prosecute Elliott. Court documents show Kolodziej maintained the relationship through Elliot's sentencing in August 2019 and never disclosed it to the defense. 

When the relationship was discovered Kolodziej was forced to resign from the AG's office.