CMU football hires Chad Bumphis to coaching staff

ac-chad-bumphis
New CMU football wide receivers coach Chad Bumphis

Central Michigan is hiring former Austin Peay wide receivers coach Chad Bumphis to its coaching staff, a team source confirmed to Central Michigan Life on Tuesday. 

The source said coaching staff assignments were still being finalized, but it's expected that Bumphis will be the new wide receivers coach. 

Former wide receivers coach Kevin Barbay is believed to still be on staff and a front runner to fill the vacant offensive coordinator position left by Charlie Frye.

Bumphis spent one season with the Governors, the fourth stop on his coaching career. In his lone year at Austin Peay, Bumphis helped the team win the Ohio Valley Conference. 

Before Austin Peay, Bumphis was a graduate assistant at both Buffalo (2017) and Utah (2018) following a one-year stint as the wide receivers coach at Iowa Wesleyan (2016). 

As a student-athlete, Bumphis spent four seasons at Mississippi State University. He was the team's leading receiver in three of his four seasons and ranks second in the school's history in receiving yards with 2,270. Bumphis was named to the All-Southeastern Conference freshman team in 2009 and Second Team All-SEC in 2012. 

Bumphis signed with the Miami Dolphins as an undrafted free agent in 2013 and spent time on the Dolphins practice squad along with that of the Denver Broncos and Jacksonville Jaguars. In 2015, Bumphis signed with the Edmonton Eskimos, the last stop on his professional football playing career. 

Bumphis is the first hire made this offseason by coach Jim McElwain.