CMU gymnastics falls at Kent State, drops third meet of the season

edit4

A CMU gymnast competes on the uneven parallel bars during the Chippewas' Feb. 11 dual against Northern Illinois in McGuirk Arena.

CMU gymnastics dropped a closely-fought battle but continued to post season best scores for the team and individuals.

Kent State took the victory over the Chippewas 196.375-195.950 in more Mid-American Conference action Sunday at the MAC Center in Kent, Ohio.

After a huge victory last week, the Chippewas (2-3) had their second-highest team score of the season, showing consistency and improvement, while the Golden Flashes (4-5) had their highest overall team score of the season.

Minor mistakes were the cause of the loss for CMU. On the bars and the beam, the Chippewas were forced to take lower-than-average scores because of a fall in both events. 

With both teams trading scores from event-to-event until the final rotation, CMU showed fight and determination.

During the meet, Kent State paid tribute to Rudy Bachna, who died on Saturday at the age of 92. Bancha founded the gymnastics program at KSU in 1959. He coached the men's team untul 1978 and the women's team until 1991.

Impact moments

To start the first rotation, CMU had a slower start than usual on bars but picked it up near the end of the rotation. The Chippewas posted a 48.725 against a 48.950 on the vault for the Golden Flashes. CMU sophomore, Audriana Hammond had a season high as sophomore Hannah Demers continued her role as an anchor for the Chippewas tying the team high. Junior Cami Klein also had a solid performance for Kent State.

A strong second rotation for both teams as CMU with a season high 49.150 on vault as Kent State also had a season-best 49.175 on bars. The Chippewas came into the meet as the best vaulting team in the MAC and showed it. Freshman Katie Kowalski led the way as junior Sierra Demarinis, and Demers turned in scores of 9.850. Kent State sophomore Rachel DeCavitch had a career-high 9.900 on bars.

The meet remained close in the third rotation. The Chippewas scored a 49.025 on the floor while the Golden Flashes posted a season high 49.050 on the beam. Once again reigning MAC Specialist of the Week, sophomore Taylor Pitchell and Demarinis led the way on the floor for CMU. Kent State freshman Sarah Haxton had a career-high 9.875 on the beam.

The fourth and final rotation marked the end of the meet as CMU posted a 48.850 on the beam versus a 49.200 on the floor for Kent State. While the meet had been a closely-contested matchup, the golden flashes pulled ahead in the final event. The Chippewas all-arounder, Demers showed off with a career best 9.875. 

Chippewa leaders

Kowalski had the meet-high of 9.875 on vault.

Hammond had the team-high of 9.850 on bars.

Demers had the team-high of 9.875 on the beam, also posting a 38.925 on the all-around.

Pitchell and Demarinis tied for the team-high of 9.875 on the floor. Demarinis also had a team-high of 39.125 on the all-around.

Kent State leaders

Klein had the team-high of 9.825 on vault.

DeCavitch had meet-highs of 9.900 on bars and the floor.

Haxton had the meet-high of 9.875 on the beam.

Up next

CMU is set to host Bowling Green at 2 p.m. Sunday in McGuirk Arena. Sunday will mark the second time the teams meet this season. CMU dominated BGSU 195.050-179.250 in the Stroh Center on Feb. 5.