CRIME LOG: Former CMU student arrested for condoms stolen in 2019

stock-24
CMUPD cars sit in the parking lot outside the police station Jan. 8.

The following incidents were among those handled by the Central Michigan University Police Department and the Mount Pleasant Police Department from Jan. 19 to Jan. 25. 

Jan. 19

A 19-year-old woman reported being sent an intimate video of herself from a couple of years ago to CMUPD at 1 p.m. She would have been underage at the time the video was taken, and the video was not taken on campus. Officers are still investigating who sent and took the video. 

CMUPD responded to a report of fraud at 2 p.m. at Campbell Hall. A 19-year-old man met someone over Snapchat and was told that if he sent money through CashApp, he would receive more money in return. The man said he had thought it was a bad idea, but sent $85 anyway. He did not get any money back.

Jan. 20

A 33-year-old man leaned over to pick up his phone while he was driving and rear-ended the vehicle in front of him at the intersection of High and Crapo Street. CMUPD responded to the car accident at approximately 3 p.m. The driver was uninsured, so officers issued a citation.

An assault occurred outside of an apartment building on Eastwood Dr. around 10 p.m. MPPD responded to a call from a 44-year-old woman who said she was hit in the face three times by a 50-year-old woman. The reason for the assault was never determined. The victim wants to press charges and the case was sent to the city attorney. 

Jan. 21

Four windows of an apartment building on Eastwood Dr. were broken out by a 25-year-old man with a shovel at around 11 p.m. MPPD found the man in a different location. Officers found him carrying fentanyl and was taken to jail. The apartment building plans to press charges for the damages to the property. 

Jan. 23

A 36-year-old woman pulled a $500 gold chain necklace off the neck of a 32-year-old man at Canterbury Trail around 5 p.m. MPPD discovered the woman was the girlfriend of the man's recently deceased brother. This altercation was a disagreement about who would receive some of the deceased brother's property. The man wants to press charges and the report is being sent to the prosecuting attorney's office. 

Jan. 24

Midland City Police Department officers pulled over a 20-year-old man for a traffic stop. They found that he had a warrant out of CMUPD for shoplifting. He had originally stolen condoms from the Kessler Hall P.O.D. in 2019 but also other reports such as damage to property. After evading arrest for almost two years, CMUPD picked him up from MCPD's custody and took him to the Isabella County Jail.

City police received a call about domestic violence dispute at 1:02 p.m. A 28-year-old woman reportedly abused her 5-year-old daughter. Both the woman and her daughter were residing in a basement at 600 Blk S Oak St. The basement was unfinished and had no bathroom. The woman was acting out from drug usage and was violent with the homeowners with who she was staying. She is a known methamphetamine user. The officers contacted the 5-year-old's grandmother who took the child with her after the mother's arrest.