CMU to celebrate Spanish culture with film festival

screen-shot-2021-02-17-at-3-17-37-pm

In order to celebrate Spanish culture, the Department of World Languages and Cultures at Central Michigan University will be hosting a Hispanic and Brazilian film festival starting in late February throughout April. 

Along with several other sponsors, the department will be showing six films as part of the Spanish Film Festival. Five will be available to stream for several days and one will be shown in-person for two nights. 

The five virtual films can be accessed at via Pragda with the username "SFC@CentralMichiganUniversity" and password "6peliculas."

The films will cover a variety of subjects such as immigration, prejudice, dehumanization, gender and sexuality. The films also come from a variety of places such as Spain, Latin America and Brazil.

At the end of each week, the day after the film closes, there will be a Q&A held via Microsoft Teams. The Q&A’s will be with CMU faculty and for two films, the directors. 

Juan Cáceres, director of "Perro Bomba," will be speaking March 1 at 7 p.m. and Anna Muylaert, director of "Don’t Call Me Son," will be speaking April 16 at 4 p.m.

“I'm excited about the recent production (of the films),” said Krystof Kulawik, Spanish and Portuguese faculty member and festival organizer. “They’re new films, and they're hard to come by and their variety and their quality, and the fact that I can share to a wider audience than just our Spanish students.”

Perro Bomba (Bombshell Dog)

Streaming February 22-28

Q&A via Microsoft Teams March 1 at 7 p.m.

MONOS

March 9 at 7 p.m. and March 11 at 6 p.m.

In-person viewing only, in Pearce 127 Auditorium

Capacity limited to 25 viewers per night, mask and social distancing required

Q&A via Microsoft Teams March 11 at 8 p.m.

The Infiltrators (Los Infiltrados)

Streaming March 20-26

Q&A via Microsoft Teams March 26 at 4 p.m.

The Queen of Spain (La Reina de España)

Streaming March 29 - April 4

Q&A via Microsoft Teams April 5 at 7 p.m.

Don't Call Me Son (Mãe Só Há Uma)

Streaming April 10-16

Q&A via Microsoft Teams April 16 at 4 p.m.

Perfect Strangers (Perfectos Desconocidos)

Streaming April 19-26

Q&A via Microsoft Teams April 26 at 7 p.m.