Academic Senate discusses budget prioritization

screen-shot-2021-03-02-at-6-38-14-pm

Central Michigan University Provost Mary Schutten announced that the President Bob Davies has begun consultation with the Budget Priorities Committee during a March 2 Academic Senate meeting.

The committee will be reviewing 18 unspecified program areas and provide reports of recommendations to the president, provost and president's cabinet for increasing enrollment. After the committee and administrator review the reports, Davies will begin drafting recommendations for the Board of Trustees.

This consultation with the Budget Priorities Committee is part of an academic prioritization strategy which began in January 2020 and will conclude in June 2021 with final budget recommendations presented to the Board of Trustees.

"The committee has been looking at a variety of topics to advise," Schutten said. "And also provide ways to enhance enrollment with outside students."

Other Business 

• The Senate approved a proposal to include specializations on diplomas in addition to the major.
  • Tom Masterson, dean of the College of Health Professions presented a summarization of a survey of CMU faculty conducted by the Accessibility and Disability Advisory council to the Academic Senate. The results of the survey can be seen in the Academic Senate meeting recording. 
  • The Academic Senate elected four senators Alan Rudy, Michael Mamp, Brandon McDonald and Jesse Bakke to the Ad Hoc Committee to discuss course modality updates. 
  • The Senate elected Nathanial Smith to the General Education Committee.

Senate meetings are live-streamed and recorded available for view on CMU's homepage.